Fuel Injector Testing / Cleaning Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As to the concern about your cleaning fluids and low temps in the garage storage. Any organic / petroleum based products have way below zero freeze points. ( Although even frozen gasoline can give flammable vapors)
At the shop for ultrasonic cleaning used Stoddard Solvent, or Zep 505 degreaser, really strong stuff.
Whatever you use in your test machine has be ultra pure, ultra clean.
All manufacturers must provide with the product or when asked, MSDS/ SDS literature, ie; flash point, freeze point, reaction data, poison , etc, etc. It's easy and good knowledge.
Good luck.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
@RichLo what did you end up using?

Since I am not doing calibrated flow-testing, just side by side comparisons, I am using mineral spirits for the flow tester and Barrymans B-12 in the ultrasonic. The B-12 evaporates fairly quickly so I drain it when I'm done and throw it in a tractor or something that runs regularly

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Owner’s Manual calls for every 30,000 miles, obviously a misprint. I change at least every year though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. If you mainly buy Top Tier (high detergent) fuel, I don't know why you'd ever need a "real" injector cleaning. Top Tier fuel is advertised by most of the gas stations around here, some go "beyond" Top Tier standards.

2. A 20-oz bottle of Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in the gas tank at every oil change has been recommended. It's the same stuff as the GM "X66" injector cleaner, or at least it used to be.

3. Back in '84, the GM-official method of cleaning injectors was to mix a gallon of gasoline with some amount of GM Top Engine Cleaner. There was a special pressure-pot that held the gasoline/solvent mix, which was then pressurized (with compressed air?) to whatever the vehicle's system pressure was. The hose on the pressure-pot would connect to the Schrader valve on the fuel system. The fuel pump got disabled (pull the fuse) and the return hose blocked. Then the vehicle would be started and run on the gasoline/solvent mixture delivered via the Schrader valve. The Top Engine Cleaner would dissolve the tubing inside the "pressure pot", GM issued a repair kit for them using more-sturdy material (Stainless steel tubing vs. copper, maybe.) The Top Engine Cleaner would destroy the float in the gas tank, so it couldn't be just poured into the gas tank like Techron can be.

GM has updated their injectors multiple times since '84. No promises on TEC compatibility with the newer injectors. For that matter, I won't promise that TEC sold now is the same formula as TEC sold then.

Last edited: