Fuel Injector Testing / Cleaning Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I just bought a fuel injector tester and cleaning machine online and I've been researching what fluid to use in it without much luck. It has two chambers, a heated ultrasonic for cleaning and the flow test reservoir. I'll just be using this to clean and flow injectors in my personal vehicles. This machine will pay for itself after 2 or 3 sets of injectors.

The Flow test I have seen people say anywhere from just run the fuel your going to be running in the car to a calibrated non-flammable fluid that costs $100+/gal. I am not worried about getting accurate flow numbers, just a side-by-side comparison to make sure all of the injectors are flowing the same. I dont want to use Gasoline because of the possible big bang side effect. Would Kerosene be good enough? Yes its still flammable but the vapors aren't as bad as gas. Any other experience or ideas? Also, freezing is an issue, this will be in the garage and dont want to run something that'll freeze.

Then for the heated ultra-sonic cleaner... I have been seeing things like Seafoam or Barrymans B12 or other injector cleaning solvents. Depending on how dirty it gets I could be pouring it into a tractor gas tank to get rid of it. Otherwise it'll get mixed in with my used oil supply. And I dont want something that'll flash away too fast when its heated. Any ideas or experience here?

This is just a google picture to show what I'll be using. I'm still waiting on mine to get shipped.
You must be registered for see images attach

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM has a fuel injector cleaner. I believe it is GM 19355198.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Don't try it on Vortec 454 injectors, it'll eat the insulation off the coils and short them out.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Don't try it on Vortec 454 injectors, it'll eat the insulation off the coils and short them out.

Dont try what? ultrasonic cleaning or certain chemicals through the flow tester? My 97 454 is one set that I wanted to clean out this summer

And yea Mineral spirits also keeps coming up for the flow test part, seems that and Kerosene are the two good low cost options.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Dont try what? ultrasonic cleaning or certain chemicals through the flow tester? My 97 454 is one set that I wanted to clean out this summer

And yea Mineral spirits also keeps coming up for the flow test part, seems that and Kerosene are the two good low cost options.

The L29/LT1 injectors are crap, professional cleaning places won't touch them for the reason I stated in my original post. I'm not sure what they use to clean injectors.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've wanted to try cleaning 454 injectors too. I here it doesn't work well, but have never understood why. I've got my originals still in the truck, a cheap used ebay set with a few known bad ones, and a cheap "rebuilt/cleaned" set from ebay packed in a bag with oil, I guess.

It might be interesting to cut one apart and see what there is to see.