Fuel delivery issue 1997 k2500 7.4 vortec - random not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the shop manager was difficult on the warranty repair, tried to convince me the fuel pump was on the frame rail, no dumba$$ that is the filter. but did agree to replacing the pump and strainer on the hanger assembly. haven't driven it except home from the shop. when I get a warm day, I'll change the filter and check the ground wiring. when I turn this 454 into a 496 this spring, new injectors and frp as part of that upgrade. thanks for the tips.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully, the shop does the diagnosis you weren't willing to do.

I won't replace a fuel pump without knowing the voltage supply to, amperage draw, and the RPM of the "failed" pump.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for running a dedicated ground from pump to battery, for testing purpose; ok. But not as a final solution. That would just confirm pump condition and suspect grounds. Check and clean grounds, if corrosion cancer is growing at ground points, potential incorrect diagnosis.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
As for running a dedicated ground from pump to battery, for testing purpose; ok. But not as a final solution. That would just confirm pump condition and suspect grounds. Check and clean grounds, if corrosion cancer is growing at ground points, potential incorrect diagnosis.

The ground is only a few feet of wire. I would have replaced mine, had I realized how short it was before I replaced the pigtail and taped it all up. It goes from the pump connector to the driver's side frame rail.