Frustrating Starter Issue *pics*

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As always, thank you for all input and advice.

My truck is a 1994 K1500 5.7 TBI. I have recently did a front end rebuild and changed out my oil pan. The 3 year old Reman Oriellys starter was removed for about a month during this process. When I put everything back together, filled with oil, and attempted to start it the starter was grinding on the flywheel. I went ahead and bought the direct drive (new) from autozone because I figured the reman was bound to go anytime. Replaced with new starter and had same grinding on flywheel issue. Returned starter and upgraded to gear reduction (new) starter from autozone with proper GM performance starter bolts. Installed starter and still was grinding decent, but not quite as bad as with larger starter. Engine has been unable to start on all three starters. I have never used shims on before but I tried them on both starters from autozone and still grinded terrible. I have tried a combination of shims up to 3. I have shimed it level, I have shimed it on the passenger side alone, and I have shimed it with a combination of level shims and and passenger side. It is still grinding.

Both new starters i tried are duralast. I installed the gear reduction starter on a friends 87 k10 with tbi 350 and it worked perfect without any shims. I dont know where to go from here accept maybe trying an acdelco from rockauto. I just dont understand how all of a sudden I am having these issues, and how the starter that was grinding on my flywheel worked perfectly on a truck with the same engine. My flywheel has normal wear but no chipped or broken teeth. As seen in the pictures I dont think the teeth on the starter are going in deep enough into the teeth on the flywheel, and that is with NO shims. The picture is the mini starter with no shims. Im not sure if this would affect anything but during the time the starter was off I did Shorty headers, plugs, wires, cap and rotor button.Has anyone ran into this before?

You must be registered for see images attach

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast forward to a year later. I hope this helps someone. After trying a variety of starters and shims, I replaced the flexplate. It needed it. I went to start it up and the grinding was gone, but it was still jumping all over the place when I would turn it over. I started remembering what I had done to the truck since it had been down because it started fine before I started to rebuild everything. I remembered that I did the plugs and wires and when I checked I realized that they were all completely wrong. I swear I probably double checked them 3 and 4 times when I first put them in but obviously I was looking at something wrong.

I installed the wires correctly and I heard a sound that I havent heard since about December of 2018. Here it is with open headers.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the transmission cooler line hole plugged and it popped out when I started it and leaked.