Front end damage, should I buy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What's commonly referred to as the torque box area on Mopars. The yellow piece labeled torque boxes is equivalent to what came equipped on Hemi cars. The area that ties the inner longitudinal(the rear rails) to the outer longitudinal(the inner rockers) forming a square section. There is also a cross brace under the left side of that plate.

Attachments

• Inked1632154610175_LI.jpg
    Inked1632154610175_LI.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

muffinman42

Reaction score
It's a common term where used autobody vehicles. In which case it's where longitudinal rails tie in cross bracing forming a boxed section. I've never heard the term torque box used in the description of a full frame.

Typically these frames will tweak in this area. This shortens up the rail on one side and instead of measuring square the measurements graph out as a diamond. It can be a very shallow dip in the frame rail and be hardly noticeable until you start measuring.

Are these measurements something that I could do myself or would it require a frame shop with the lasers and fancy tools?

What these guys said about the steering.. but also let's not overlook 270K miles. Many steering gearboxes (and the front end in general) are worn out at that point. Even so, sounds like you made out pretty good for the money!

Richard

This comment brings me to today, because I have a little bit of optimistic hope on that. It's pouring today so I can't get out to look under it. But I did take it to the DMV to get tags and I was experimenting with a thought on the way:

If I get the steering perfect on a very flat road, the truck WILL track straight until I hit a bump or the road banks. I'm not exaggerating when I say there's 45 degrees of slack in the steering, so it's hard to do, but i imagine if the frame was tweaked, it would pull one direction constantly, right? It doesn't seem to prefer one direction over the other.

Some other stuff that may or may not be important:
-the slack in the wheel isn't center. Steering engages left and right at roughly 0 degrees and 45 degrees, respectively. Not sure if that's a good, bad, or irrelevant sign.
-I can't see any noticeable difference between any of the tires as far as wear goes, although I've only put 200 miles on the truck so far.
-I guarantee that steering box has gone the full 270k. Which is kinda surprising considering how much I've seen under the hood that's new.

Biggest question is, if you didn't want to read all of the blabbering in this comment, how do I get a definitive answer without just throwing parts at it and seeing if it gets better?

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just chiming in... Jack up the front end and steer the wheel back and forth. You can typically see the play. Also use a pry bar and pry under the tires for up and down play. Also look at all your rubber bushings and see if there shot. Your front end damage is nothing so I doubt the frame is bent major. However you can also measure the frame rails at the front on a flat surface and see if there off. It wont be a perfect accurate measurement but will get you in the ball park. Otherwise whenever you pull off the front end you'll be able to see what all is bent or needs replacing...... been there done that.... but mine was a 98 2wd

Bondovw

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that the frame is bent to affect the suspension. It doesn't look like it was hit that hard. I bet it will just need to be repaired on the end to make the bumper fit correctly.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a common term where used autobody vehicles. In which case it's where longitudinal rails tie in cross bracing forming a boxed section. I've never heard the term torque box used in the description of a full frame.

Typically these frames will tweak in this area. This shortens up the rail on one side and instead of measuring square the measurements graph out as a diamond. It can be a very shallow dip in the frame rail and be hardly noticeable until you start measuring.
The area just behind where you circled red is the torque box. Same term used on full frames all the way back into the 60's at least.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The area just behind where you circled red is the torque box. Same term used on full frames all the way back into the 60's at least.
Through all my training, I- Car, Gm, Ford and Toyota at the dealership levels , never have I heard of anything on a full frame be referred to as a torque box. The only thing behind the section I circled is frame rail and a cab mount until you get to a bolt in trans crossmember. There is no torque box or anything that could even be considered a torque box in this area. The only thing welded in a gmt400 frame is the front crossmember and it's called out as the front/engine crossmember in collision repair guides, by insurance companies, estimators , and other bodymen for the last 30 years. Everything behind the front crossmember is bolted in or Huck bolted(riveted) to the frame rails. There are other frame types out there but for the most part truck frames have been and still are basic ladder frame construction.

I don't know what they called it in the 60's but the industry has progressed progressed since then.