From running perfect to sputtering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billingstitan

Reaction score
1989 K1500 5.7/350 — stock

Had my old truck running great for at least a year after engine swap, new fuel pump/filter, new TBI leads, TPS, distributor, plugs, etc.

Sitting at the dump, unloading some brush w the truck at idle, and I heard the pitch of the engine change.

Driving out of the landfill, it still runs good, but its suddenly got kind of a sputter, and almost what feels like a miss.

When I get on the gas, power def lacks, and there’s a hesitation.

Feels like it’s going to die sometimes at stoplights, but it doesn’t … idle just kinda stumbles, then catches, then stumbles.

Checked my connections, everything looks solid.

It runs like the timing is off — it is not.

I gotta think something ‘went out’, rather than a tuning issue, due to the suddenness of how the problem manifested.

Y’all got any wisdom to share? I replaced the entire ignition system when I swapped the engine in 2020.

I’m scratching my head here, guys …

User_name

T.B.I Guy
Reaction score
Well start with your basics.
What's the fuel pressure? Should be 12-15 psi for best operation.
What's the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires look like?
Any vacuum leaks?
Are the injectors spraying in a nice, even cone pattern?
Any codes?

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any codes?
I'm with Shannon400, go over the basics. With special emphasis on:
-Vacuum leak
-Cracked spark plug
-Bad spark plug wire
-Ohm out the temp sensor (cold and hot).

On an 89 you're not going to get a lot of info on a scan tool. But looking at the O2 sensor could help out, and you can see what the temp reading is cold and hot.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Billingstitan

Reaction score
Well start with your basics.
What's the fuel pressure? Should be 12-15 psi for best operation.
What's the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires look like?
Any vacuum leaks?
Are the injectors spraying in a nice, even cone pattern?
Any codes?
I drive a semi, so today was the first chance I had to work on this ******* vixen.

Fuel pressure was spot on, both w engine running and just turning the key. I don’t know if I’m incompetent, but that was kind of a messy job. Love using those metal wrenches as I’m in a growing puddle of gas, lol.

Checked my vacuum lines, all look good.

Changed out the MAPS sensor; installed a new distributor w new cap, rotor and ICM.

Plugs and wires wires are fairly new (mayb 10k amd 3 years).

Injector spray pattern looks good.

I am not sure what the hell else to try? Runs better at low speeds, but lacks power in higher gear/speed, kinda shudders a bit, misses …

My gut says ignition — but last time it acted up my gut said ‘fuel pump’, and I replaced all that only to find it was the coil . So my gut is not a reliable source, lol.

Any ideas? Should I post an updated thread as an update to ask the larger community — I hate to be a pest.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
post #2, any codes?

OBD1 can set codes without the check engine light coming on.
easy to check, might help you narrow done what to look at.