Frame coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I plan to strip and coat my frame to prevent rust.

I have already took a wire brush to the frame to remove loose material and coated with rubberized undercoating.

I want to completely renovated finish it though, i will be taking flap wheels and wire wheels and bringing the surface to a bare, clean metal before I coat. I plan to primer and then coat.

My options are...

1: truck bed liner

2: rubberized undercoating

3: chassis saver paint

Looking for experiences, tips, advice and know how. From what I understand, chassis saver is the best, but i can get undercoating and bedliner cheaper or even free in bulk cases.

And info on durability?

I'm willing to pay a little extra if the cheaper options do not hold up well and prevent frame rust. I will be completely coating the frame, body and suspension components underneath.

Any input?

I will keep my baby forever as long as the frame doesn't rot out. Anything else I can fix...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I used rustoleum flat black enamel paint that stops rust. I sanded and wire wheeled before. I didn't use primer, its holding up well. Just thought I would share even though you want to do a better job of it!
You must be registered for see images attach

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
it's me again! lol

i used POR-15 on mine prior to getting the truck painted...

then had to retouch some areas after the rear suspension was reworked for air ride

this pic might be better for comparison. the frame notches, link bars, new gas tank cross member and bag pockets/brackets were done this summer, the rest of the back half were done 2 yrs ago. POR works great, but it's a challenge to put on the truck without getting on YOU.. hehe.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I used rustoleum flat black enamel paint that stops rust. I sanded and wire wheeled before. I didn't use primer, its holding up well. Just thought I would share even though you want to do a better job of it!
Looks great man! This is a feasible option also. Do you have road salt used in your area?
it's me again! lol

i used POR-15 on mine prior to getting the truck painted...

then had to retouch some areas after the rear suspension was reworked for air ride

this pic might be better for comparison. the frame notches, link bars, new gas tank cross member and bag pockets/brackets were done this summer, the rest of the back half were done 2 yrs ago. POR works great, but it's a challenge to put on the truck without getting on YOU.. hehe.

I have looked at por15, it's a definite option also, since it is good for areas already starting to rust. I have a lot of surface rust to take care of, no holes though.