Frame coating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
Did you just back half it or do your entire frame?

originally just the back half... the side rails under the cab are done now... and the front frame rails and horns are done too. the only area i didn't get was under the engine.. since my truck was never torn all the way down, i've had to work around some parts and get where i could as i could.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I know POR is addhears better to slight surface rust, but how does it do to bare metal? I plan on blasting my frame, because it needs it, and I would like to put a very very good coating on it.

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
I know POR is addhears better to slight surface rust, but how does it do to bare metal? I plan on blasting my frame, because it needs it, and I would like to put a very very good coating on it.

when i did the new suspension parts (after the air ride install), i cleaned it with the Marine Clean, and rinsed. Rinsing it yielded a light coat of surface rust after letting it sit overnight. Then the next step is the Metal Ready etching agent.. which neutralizes rust and makes the surface ready for POR to adhere.

kaseyjones74

Reaction score
Here's mine before:
You must be registered for see images

After:
You must be registered for see images

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Salted winter roads?

You definitely want to get as much rust removed as humanly possible.

Then a rust paint or a rust encapsulator. Make sure you get a nozzle that let's you go up and into the front frame boxed sections.

I'm a big fan of zinc chromate, but thats just my aerospace background coming out again.

Give it a month or so of "flash off time" to fully cure.

Once that's done, here's the part you're not going to like:

Soak the entire underside in an oil coating. And i mean everything (except exhaust). Every channel, every seam, every nook and cranny. Anything that stays liquid or tacky/flowable. Fluid film gets good reviews, but I've only ever used it sparingly as a rust inhibitor.

Hard coatings will eventually get water behind them and the rusties will go to town on it. Oil coatings flow and fill chips and edges.

It won't look pretty, but it will stop rust dead in it's tracks. Reapply once a year before winter hits.

Its all about denying the iron the oxygen and electrolyte it needs to become ferous oxide.

Last edited: