Forum newbie with rear end/front end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped out driveshafts from the parts trucks each time I changed the rear end. First one blew a bearing, second had a bolt back out. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any, I guess.

Sweet thanks for the info guys, I may have found a rear end that will work. I'll be sure to post some pics and updates when I start that project.

Truck is just about back on the road, ball joints, wheel bearing, shocks and sway bar link installed, just need to shoot some grease in and put the tires on (tomorrow).

If you don't find an axle with the 3:42 ratio, I've got a 3:42 ring and pinion and gov-loc carrier from my semi-float if you're interested. I live near Sussex so it's only about an hours drive.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Make sure you get the correct brake proportioning valve when you swap. The JB6 brakes are considerably more powerful than the JB5 brakes. You should also be prepared to swap the u-bolt hardware, the axle tubes are different sizes and most of the junkyard mounting plates and bolts that I've seen are rusted beyond re-use. You could do a u-bolt flip for about the same price as new hardware. As far as u-joints, it depends whether you have the carbon-aluminum driveshaft or the steel one, they are different sizes.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of this. When you say the correct proportioning valve, would that mean the one from the truck the rear end came from? I'm still looking at a couple rear ends but they're in trucks now, so I could probably get the valve with them.

Thanks for the info

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
If you don't find an axle with the 3:42 ratio, I've got a 3:42 ring and pinion and gov-loc carrier from my semi-float if you're interested. I live near Sussex so it's only about an hours drive.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one thing I forgot to do in my swap and anything more that moderate brake application will make the rear lock up. Kind of scary when it happens. If the truck you pull the axle from has 4WABS you can use the prop valve.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one thing I forgot to do in my swap and anything more that moderate brake application will make the rear lock up. Kind of scary when it happens. If the truck you pull the axle from has 4WABS you can use the prop valve.
was this with the 11" rear drum brakes or the 13" ones? I have the 11" and just wondering cause i'll need to get a prop. valve if so.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
11.15 x 2.75 is JB6. That's what comes on a 6 lug 14 bolt. the 10 bolt brakes are JB5, 10 x 2.25. Yes you should get a prop valve.