Forum newbie with rear end/front end question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Hi there,

New to this forum as far as posting, but I've gone through threads many times before when googling for a specific question. Thought that where I'm getting more into the guts of my truck, it would be a good time to join as I'm sure I'll have many questions, and maybe, when I'm more experienced I might be able to help others to learn from my (numerous) mistakes. Still new to auto mechanics, but buying a truck with nearly 350'000 kms and not being able to afford mechanics rates has forced me to learn a little...lol.

For starters, my truck is a regular cab 1996 1500 4x4. It's currently in my grandfathers heated garage (he was kind enough to let the Chevy in and make his Subaru Outback sit out in the cold, -20ish here in New Brunswick). I've got the front end apart, replacing all 4 ball joints, a wheel bearing, shock absorber and sway bar link. No problems there other than a seized bolt holding the wheel bearing and hub to the spindle.

The reason I'm posting is with regards to a 14 bolt SF rear end swap.
Front pinion bearing went bad in the 10 bolt that was in the truck when I bought it, blowing up rather spectacularly. Bits and pieces of truck left all over the highway doing about 80km/h.

Put in another 10 bolt out of a '96 parts truck I bought that had been rebuilt about 3 years ago (I know the guy who owned the truck). Took awhile 'cause I was stupider than I am now.
...you know where this is going. Bolt backed out that holds the pin in there that holds your spider gears. Chewed right through the carrier. My friend was right there with his F**d half ton and towed me back to his garage. The long drive of shame...

So, I picked up a 10 bolt posi-trac out of a '90 up the road with about 230'000 kms. Threw her in there with less difficulty than the first time. Still in the truck and working good, but is leaking a bit recently around the pinion.
Note that I don't do much 4x4ing, only occasionally. Mostly the truck is a daily driver but I do a fair bit of hauling, and usually when I haul something it's heavy. Like 2000 lbs. My truck has helper springs and holds the weight fine, and where I don't tow much, if ever, I don't really miss the heavier frame found in a 3/4 ton.

What I'm considering is swapping a 14 bolt into my truck. I could take the 10 bolt apart and fix the seal, sure. But putting any money or effort into a 10 bolt just makes me want to barf.

There's plenty of coverage here and elsewhere with regards to swapping a 10 for a 14. A little confused as to which conversion U-joint I need, I've seen a few different part numbers floating around. All that will become apparent.

What I'm wondering, is if there is such a thing as an 8-bolt hub that will bolt up to the 1500 spindles in the front? It seems to be a lot easier to find 8-bolt-hub 14s than 6-bolt, so I've been looking around for information about swapping hubs to keep the front and rear the same but I can't seem to find anything. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

No, I'm not particularly interested in swapping the 3/4 ton front end in. Too much work for not enough benefit, in my opinion. If I were to modify the front end I'd probably go with a SAS, but where I don't use 4x4 much (just to get up snowy hills in the winter and the odd mud hole in the summer) I think I'd rather just stick with the regular 1500 IFS and it's readily and cheaply available parts. I don't mind working on my truck but usually, if it ain't broke I don't fix it.

And I don't think I really need to buy a 2500. The only major complaint I've had with my truck is rear ends. Maybe when my transmission goes, I'll want a 4L80E, but I happen to have a rebuilt 4L60E sitting under my parts truck, if and when that day comes. However any thoughts would be appreciated.

Finding any 14 bolt with my 3.42s isn't easy either, but there are a couple around. Mostly 3-500 dollars.

Another question is about the brakes in the rear. Should I stick with the brakes that are on the 14 bolt I buy, or can/should I swap over the brakes from the 10 bolt? I'm not even sure if this is possible since I don't have a 14 yet to measure.

Thanks for any input. Still a major newbie here.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where abouts in NB are you from? I would check with Capital Auto Parts here in Fredericton they have quite a few OBS trucks there and would think a couple 14 bolts. Another option, instead of swapping 8 lug hubs up front just get 6 lug axle shafts for the rear end.
As for the u-joint I just swapped yokes from the 10 bolt onto the 14 bolt, that way it eliminates any confusion and cost with no need for any special joint.
Keep the 14 bolt brakes.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to replace your U joints or have your drive shaft checked for balance.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Where abouts in NB are you from? I would check with Capital Auto Parts here in Fredericton they have quite a few OBS trucks there and would think a couple 14 bolts. Another option, instead of swapping 8 lug hubs up front just get 6 lug axle shafts for the rear end.
As for the u-joint I just swapped yokes from the 10 bolt onto the 14 bolt, that way it eliminates any confusion and cost with no need for any special joint.
Keep the 14 bolt brakes.

Just down in Gagetown. I'll give them a call Monday see what they say.
I'm leaning towards just finding a 6 bolt hub 14. Is it possible to swap the shafts out of one of these 6-hubs into one that originally had 8? For example if I found one with the correct gear ratio but wrong hub setup, and another that was vice-versa...know what I mean?
Forgive me I'm new to all this stuff.

Is there much to swapping out the yoke? Fortunately I've still got those two junked 10 bolts, so I could have a little time to get a yoke off one of the old ones and put it onto the 14 bolt. Time is important, nothing worse than having your truck up on blocks for a week. I'd probably re-do the brakes on the axle that I pick up. Get it all ready to go to make it a quick job of out with the old and in with the new.
I think that if I have it all apart, I'll probably get new u-joints for it. Don't want to spend more than I have to, but might as well do it right.

Sounds like you need to replace your U joints or have your drive shaft checked for balance.

Good point. I'll get her checked out.

Thanks a lot for you guys' advice. Much appreciated.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just down in Gagetown. I'll give them a call Monday see what they say.
I'm leaning towards just finding a 6 bolt hub 14. Is it possible to swap the shafts out of one of these 6-hubs into one that originally had 8? For example if I found one with the correct gear ratio but wrong hub setup, and another that was vice-versa...know what I mean?
Forgive me I'm new to all this stuff.
As long as the 8 lug axle is from a 4wd and a 9.5" 14 bolt SF axle with 33 spline axles then the shafts should be swappable.

Is there much to swapping out the yoke? Fortunately I've still got those two junked 10 bolts, so I could have a little time to get a yoke off one of the old ones and put it onto the 14 bolt. Time is important, nothing worse than having your truck up on blocks for a week. I'd probably re-do the brakes on the axle that I pick up. Get it all ready to go to make it a quick job of out with the old and in with the new.
I think that if I have it all apart, I'll probably get new u-joints for it. Don't want to spend more than I have to, but might as well do it right.
Its just a matter of removing and switching the yokes, a new pinion seal may not be a bad idea to install at the same time. Just be sure to get the right tourque on the pinion nut.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Many times when a rear end locks up it will break the u-joints. If it doesn't, and the driver doesn't immediately release the throttle, then the driveshaft will twist and warp. So after the first diff decided to grenade, the others may have been victims to a warped driveshaft.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Many times when a rear end locks up it will break the u-joints. If it doesn't, and the driver doesn't immediately release the throttle, then the driveshaft will twist and warp. So after the first diff decided to grenade, the others may have been victims to a warped driveshaft.

I swapped out driveshafts from the parts trucks each time I changed the rear end. First one blew a bearing, second had a bolt back out. If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any, I guess.

Its just a matter of removing and switching the yokes, a new pinion seal may not be a bad idea to install at the same time. Just be sure to get the right tourque on the pinion nut.

As long as the 8 lug axle is from a 4wd and a 9.5" 14 bolt SF axle with 33 spline axles then the shafts should be swappable.

Sweet thanks for the info guys, I may have found a rear end that will work. I'll be sure to post some pics and updates when I start that project.

Truck is just about back on the road, ball joints, wheel bearing, shocks and sway bar link installed, just need to shoot some grease in and put the tires on (tomorrow).

Askme42

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"As long as the 8 lug axle is from a 4wd and a 9.5" 14 bolt SF axle with 33 spline axles then the shafts should be swappable."

I certainly don't know much but I'm pretty sure ALL 8 lugs are 10.5" FF.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Make sure you get the correct brake proportioning valve when you swap. The JB6 brakes are considerably more powerful than the JB5 brakes. You should also be prepared to swap the u-bolt hardware, the axle tubes are different sizes and most of the junkyard mounting plates and bolts that I've seen are rusted beyond re-use. You could do a u-bolt flip for about the same price as new hardware. As far as u-joints, it depends whether you have the carbon-aluminum driveshaft or the steel one, they are different sizes.

92Sierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"As long as the 8 lug axle is from a 4wd and a 9.5" 14 bolt SF axle with 33 spline axles then the shafts should be swappable."

I certainly don't know much but I'm pretty sure ALL 8 lugs are 10.5" FF.

There is both 8 and 6 lug GM 9.5" 14 bolts. 8's I think are used on light duty 4x4 2500's