First Post: Rear Disc Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First post from a newbie to the GMT400 world. I recently traded a friend for a 1996 GMC SL k1500 that was originally a Forest Service truck. It has 4wd, a fresh 350 with Dart Iron Eagles, and a 8000 lb Ramsey winch on the front of it.

That's the good parts...damn near nothing else is good about it lol. (Ever see the green that comes on a Forest Service truck? Yuck!)

I'm currently rebuilding the suspension, brakes, and steering, and while it's apart, painting the frame rails that I can get to. I have the upper and lower control arms totally apart, and have started the sandblast/paint process on them to cure the rust. Got everything I need for the front ready to go, just in the process of assembly now.

Moving on to the rears, my rear backing pads on both sides are a mess, so I'm strongly considering swapping to discs. I can pull the axles while it's out and refresh any bearings that are needed as well. I've been reading on here about rear disc swaps, and have even seen some on ebay, etc. Most of the information here is about 5 lugs, it appears. So, what I'm really looking for are what parts are needed for a 6 lug conversion.

I do have a MIG and TIG welder and can weld brackets on if needed, but obviously bolt ons are easier. Has anyone done this themselves with off the shelf parts? If so, any parts lists around I can refer to?

Thanks,
Scott

big green

Reaction score
I had thought of finding a rear axle out of a newer Yukon or Suburban that has the same gear ratio and swapping it in. Anybody else have thoughts on that? Seems easier than welding brackets, plus from what I have seen there's tons of opinions both good and bad on the conversion kits.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First post from a newbie to the GMT400 world. I recently traded a friend for a 1996 GMC SL k1500 that was originally a Forest Service truck. It has 4wd, a fresh 350 with Dart Iron Eagles, and a 8000 lb Ramsey winch on the front of it.

That's the good parts...damn near nothing else is good about it lol. (Ever see the green that comes on a Forest Service truck? Yuck!)

I'm currently rebuilding the suspension, brakes, and steering, and while it's apart, painting the frame rails that I can get to. I have the upper and lower control arms totally apart, and have started the sandblast/paint process on them to cure the rust. Got everything I need for the front ready to go, just in the process of assembly now.

Moving on to the rears, my rear backing pads on both sides are a mess, so I'm strongly considering swapping to discs. I can pull the axles while it's out and refresh any bearings that are needed as well. I've been reading on here about rear disc swaps, and have even seen some on ebay, etc. Most of the information here is about 5 lugs, it appears. So, what I'm really looking for are what parts are needed for a 6 lug conversion.

I do have a MIG and TIG welder and can weld brackets on if needed, but obviously bolt ons are easier. Has anyone done this themselves with off the shelf parts? If so, any parts lists around I can refer to?

Thanks,
Scott
do your self a favor and get a rear end out of a 99-06 gm truck with the same ratio. i did this with my conversion, all i had to do was cut off the spring perches and shock mounts and weld them back on 3/4 each side and works great. also down the road when it comes time to replacing pads, rotors, calipers, etc parts are easier and cheaper to find. hope this helps.

Reaction score
do your self a favor and get a rear end out of a 99-06 gm truck with the same ratio. i did this with my conversion, all i had to do was cut off the spring perches and shock mounts and weld them back on 3/4 each side and works great. also down the road when it comes time to replacing pads, rotors, calipers, etc parts are easier and cheaper to find. hope this helps.

I don't disagree, but most stuff in junque yards around here is as bad as what I'm working on. So, I'd have to buy that, swap it out (pray the axle is ok), then deal with new calipers, discs, and pads. Not sure of the economics here...but I'll call around and see what i can get access to.