First gmt400 need some trans advice...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stomis

Reaction score
After wanting a SCSB 2wd for a loooong time I finally scored a good deal on one at the right time. 94 sierra, no rust, straight body, roll pan, 12ish second 1/4 355/nv3500. Well the PO had thrown together the V8 swap and booger welded the pass side motor mount to the engine crossmember. Well needless to say I couldnt resist jumping on it when I got on the highway. I broke the motor mount off, cracked 1/3 of the bellhousing off the trans, and blew out a u joint.

This isnt my first rodeo with building things. Ive built all sorts of 4x4s, g bodies, etc. Im trying to figure out what my best option is economically for a transmission. I would like a TKO600 but $2400 + a bell housing isnt feasible right now. Even a $1600 world class t5 is a little steep too. So Ive started scouring junkyards and Im searching for the best option for a stock trans. I know the nv3500 got stronger and stronger as the years went by. I also know that the s10 versions had a much more street rod friendly 1st to 2nd gear spread in it.

Am I correct in my research that a nv3500 from behind a 4.3 2wd s10 would be my best stock replacement option for my situation?

stomis

Reaction score
Nv4500 with a granny first gear and slow as hell shifts in a street truck? Yeah no

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 4

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Am I correct in my research that a nv3500 from behind a 4.3 2wd s10 would be my best stock replacement option for my situation?

It is my understanding they are of a different length than full size transmissions. I wouldn't bother sinking any money into an NV3500.

Nv4500 with a granny first gear and slow as hell shifts in a street truck? Yeah no

Don't be rude when people offer advice that was requested, IMO. Welcome to the site btw.

To answer the post, that's basically the only other "stock" option to an NV3500 unless you wanted to go with an HM-290 or an old 4-speed.....for absolutely no gain in drivability or durability.

Sounds like you either need to live with another 3500 or go auto unless you want to fork out some serious cash.

My 2 cents.

stomis

Reaction score
It is my understanding they are of a different length than full size transmissions. I wouldn't bother sinking any money into an NV3500.

Don't be rude when people offer advice that was requested, IMO. Welcome to the site btw.

To answer the post, that's basically the only other "stock" option to an NV3500 unless you wanted to go with an HM-290 or an old 4-speed.....for absolutely no gain in drivability or durability.

Sounds like you either need to live with another 3500 or go auto unless you want to fork out some serious cash.

My 2 cents.

I wouldn't really consider recommending putting an nv4500 in a street truck very good advice. I'm not trying to be a dick but if I knew nothing and ran out and threw an nv4500 in a hot rod I'd be mighty pissed at wasted time effort and money.

As far as the s10 nv3500 its the cheapest option for the right gear ratios at the moment. Even stocker t56s are gonna fetch $1000 around here. I guess I'll have to be nice to it until I can foot the bill for a tko600.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I wouldn't really consider recommending putting an nv4500 in a street truck very good advice. I'm not trying to be a dick but if I knew nothing and ran out and threw an nv4500 in a hot rod I'd be mighty pissed at wasted time effort and money.

As far as the s10 nv3500 its the cheapest option for the right gear ratios at the moment. Even stocker t56s are gonna fetch $1000 around here. I guess I'll have to be nice to it until I can foot the bill for a tko600.

I guess it depends on how you look at it. With all due respect I'd say putting another 3500 in is wasted time effort and money, even for just a temporary solution, but hey, it's your truck.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

stomis

Reaction score
Eh a waste I dont think. The best option no. But some times the car funds arent top priority and it will get my truck on the road.