Fiberglass Body Panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup. 15x10 alloys

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
It's hard to drop a pile of weight without losing some of the creature comforts. Front bumper - if you have one off the truck, you could wax the heck out of it, and use it as a direct mold to make a fiberglass one - need some resin and cloth, enough to make a few layers thick, and a roller.

Once you have the shape, and it's cured, you can remove it carefully and apply a thin coat of body filler and sand smooth. Prime and paint.

Aftermarket steel fenders are a good bit lighter than the OE stuff. Do you really need inner fenders?

Ditching the inner wheel houses, bolts and clips, and bolting on aftermarket fenders with a fiberglass bumper, I bet you could save 70-80 pounds easy.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's hard to drop a pile of weight without losing some of the creature comforts. Front bumper - if you have one off the truck, you could wax the heck out of it, and use it as a direct mold to make a fiberglass one - need some resin and cloth, enough to make a few layers thick, and a roller.

Once you have the shape, and it's cured, you can remove it carefully and apply a thin coat of body filler and sand smooth. Prime and paint.

Aftermarket steel fenders are a good bit lighter than the OE stuff. Do you really need inner fenders?

Ditching the inner wheel houses, bolts and clips, and bolting on aftermarket fenders with a fiberglass bumper, I bet you could save 70-80 pounds easy.
And that will put me really close to my desired street weight. I'm at 4240 now with full interior, subs, and topper. I even have 2 batteries. I'm just looking to break 4100 lbs. I'm also looking at making an aluminum tranny xmember. As well

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I even have 2 batteries.

If you really want to save weight you could eliminate one of those and shave off 60lbs easy when you factor in wiring and equipment.

EDIT - Maybe closer to 50 now that I think on it, but still.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you really want to save weight you could eliminate one of those and shave off 60lbs easy when you factor in wiring and equipment.

EDIT - Maybe closer to 50 now that I think on it, but still.
Both are dry cells

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Trying to lose weight, while maintaining a thumping stereo system with subs and extra batteries is like solving the cold fusion problem. That stuff is heavy by itself.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both are dry cells

Meaning what exactly? AGM cells? Every car battery I've ever messed with has weighed the better part of 50lbs. What batteries are you running exactly?

Trying to lose weight, while maintaining a thumping stereo system with subs and extra batteries is like solving the cold fusion problem. That stuff is heavy by itself.

I didn't realize the truck in question had a substantial system. If it does then yeah, that's kind of trying to solve a problem you created yourself. Goes back to what I posted earlier in this thread, too many goals for one vehicle. I'll admit I've learned that one the hard way.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My system is cut down to a single 10 and two small amps.

Also the batteries I'm running are xs s series batteries