Few questions about rebuilding 4l60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93TL93

Reaction score
Alright the trans in my 93 4x4 finally gave out at 246k i have no 3rd or 4th just revs up as if in neutral. after reading i see that 3/4 clutch burn up is common so its time for a rebuild. i will be doing this myself. i have been trying to find out what rebuild kit i should get as iam not the easiest on the throttle i figured i should try and beef it up a little. since im new to rebuilding trans i was wondering what kits anyone has any luck with and if i should go with a shift kit as well. any information would be appreciated. and i think i have it diagnosed right but if i could be anything else please let me know.

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I currently have the same issue. I have a thread with some replies that may point you in the right direction. I have also decided to do mine myself as well.

My 4l60e had about 15000 miles on it since it was "rebuilt". That being said, my truck shifts fine from 1-2 but once it shifts to 3rd it just revs freely. The clutch pack is probably the culprit but it may be the 3-4 clutch pack piston as well. I am gonna try to pull my transmission tomorrow and get it apart..........so we will see. I will post up pix if I can.

93TL93

Reaction score
i will take a look at your your thread, i wont be removing my trans till next weekend so keep me posted on how it goes.thanks

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i just started pulling mine so i probably wont get to it till next week. Its raining all week and i will be out of town. Ill post pics when i pull the transmission

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you guys need a manual or anything let me know. I can email it to you.

93TL93

Reaction score
Rhino,
A Manual would be very much appreciated. Also I was wondering if you could give a list of parts you use in your rebuilds so I can order them. I talked to a local trans shop and the quoted me 400 for a master rebuild kit I'm not sure on what that included though. One more thing I was wondering what would cause the 3/4 clutch to burn up like what to look for. I know I'm asking alot I just would like to get it right the first time. Thanks in advance.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd be glad to help. Send me your email address and phone number in a private message. The email is a huge file, It may take a few minutes to download.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I would be pretty dead set on a kevlar band, high performance clutches, a beast sun shell, and corvette servo if i ever end up doing it again. Thats what i put in mine last time it was out and it has taken quite a beating without a complaint.