FastOrange Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Ran head numbers, peanut port junk, so i might just use the 366 heads.

You must be registered for see images

Engine is seized, no surprise, dumped a bunch of ATF and WD40 down the spark plug holes.

TH400 looks to be in great shape, fluid is super clean, everything looks great.

For $200 we got a super complete seized 454 and a TH400 that looks great, cant go wrong, this 454 is worth $500 alone as core.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Glad you've decided to keep it, Josh!
Like the idea of a BBC in there! Don't know about those 366 heads though. Big compression = burning Hi-Test. And big compression with low flow? That may cause ya some probs.
Square ports are probably overkill since you'd need a pretty hefty cam to make 'em work properly, & that'd be getting you away from the goals you have for it.
I would think that a set of round ports, nicely matched to the intake, with a bit of work to help them flow would be the ticket.
A nice hydraulic cam similar to the 427/390hp GM stick would be a blast in a RCSB.
A Bud of mine ran a dual profile cam in his 454. Idled as smooth as a Cadillac, but made over 500hp! Can't remember the manufacturer, though.

Sounds like you are refering to a Lunati Voodoo Cam there Al...i have looked at them a few times for my old Dodge when i still had it.

Glad to hear you are keeping this truck Josh!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
So im most likely going to use the 366 heads. took another look at them and they are Oval ports, not Peanuts like my 454 heads. only downfall is they have smaller valves.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Some eye candy for you guys, i cleaned up the 454 abit, i swear this thing has never been apart, everything date matches to a 1976 454.

I only thing i have found missing was the distributor clamp, everything else was there, right down to the vaccumm lines, i cleaned alot of the junk off, pulled the distributor to clean. my dad took the '76 454 valve covers to work to knock out some of the dents and clean them up, has a set of '72 396 covers on it right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score

Engine is pooched, getting a complete tear down, will be building a 427, either with this block or another my dad has, this engine will donate its rods and alot of misc. parts.