faded plastic trim easy fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
wow good info , ive heard peanut butter works too but personally would never try it

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im subscribed to this guy on youtube he has alot of how to videos most of them are paint and body tricks he provides alot of good info

jdavis8317

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
wonder if this would work on plastic headlights he says the heat takes all the impuritys out of the plastic i have a extra set i might try it on

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
wonder if this would work on plastic headlights he says the heat takes all the impuritys out of the plastic i have a extra set i might try it on

Probably would but it might "distort" them. Kind of like taking heat or small flame to plexiglas after you cut it. It clears up the cut marks, but leaves it distorted.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Very cool! (or hot!)

I use a heat gun almost on a daily basis. The one that he's using is a real cheap one! This is a 'real' heat gun!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-Heat...846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3ccb384efe

If you're going to buy one & use it fairly often, this is the one I recommend. The one I have now is over 20 yrs. old. The reason that I say to get one of these is because they last. They can be rebuilt, & the element is replacable. It also has warnings on the nozzle saying that the temp out of the heat gun can reach 1000 degrees.(!) It WILL light up most things flammable, including clothing. It has no respect for human flesh!
The type used in the vid, I would burn out 3 in a year. At $20.00 each, you can see why the one I use is cheaper in the long run. They last longer, because they have a 'cool' cycle. Once you finish using them, run it on cool until you can hold your hand in front of it. The cheap ones, when you turn them off, retain all that heat inside of the body & eventually they cook themselves to death. They are an extreme fire hazard, even when off, but still hot from use. Watch where you put them down when finished using them.
If you are to do this, be very careful to keep the gun moving in circles. From my exp. the guy in the vid doesn't start moving it properly until the 6 minute mark. For someone with little experience using this tool, the way he moves the gun around up until that point is recipe for disaster. As in bubbled, warped, melted.
Other than that, I'm off to do the step plate plastic on my '97 right now!
Thanks for the post!

smrr1

wait for it...
Reaction score
i just use BACK TO BLACK for dark plastics..............and a buffer and compound for lights

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Wow that's really neat. I usually just paint stuff like that, but this would be a good idea for a daily driver or something you plan to flip and sell.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Hmm yall think this would work on interior door handle bezels? I have to take mine off tomorrow to put my new speakers in anyway.