extended cab sub woofer setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking for some pictures of extended cab subwoofer set ups. Thinking of building a fiberglass box under the rear seat with some 8s or 10s in it and would like to see what other people have done to get some ideas. Also looking to see where everybody has mounted their amps, I don't really wanna just screw them to the back wall but idk where else to mount them. I have one of the older 1500bd1 Rockford amps and its pretty big so I don't think itll fit under the front seat.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My amp is under the drivers seat. A 800 watt pioneer. I am pushing 1 10 in a box I bought several years ago. It fits under the back seat, and over the hump. I don't have pics. but of you look on ebay and amazon you will see the boxes for a GMT 400s. My box is a down fire box. Here is a link for a duel box.http://www.amazon.com/Atrend-A102-12-12-Inch-Down-Fire-Subwoofer/dp/B0013MV77Y/ref=sr_1_28?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430190542&vehicle=1997-47-424------------1-0&sr=1-28&ymm=1997%3Achevrolet%3Ac1500&keywords=subwoofer+box

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Judging by the rest of the work I've seen on his truck, I'd imagine he'll be looking for something way nicer than any pre-fab MDF box. Could at least pull some ideas from that I suppose, though.

Wish I could be more helpful but I've never dealt with an extended cab personally.

Looked up the specs on that RF amp, that's definitely a biggun'. Once again I can't really recommend anything for the extended cab specifically, but I also run a large sub amp (Lanzar OptiDrive 2500) and the back wall of the cab was really the only logical choice. I didn't want to mount directly into it though, hate to have screw holes in that. I integrated a mounting point into my behind the seat boxes that I ran some short self tapping screws into to hold the amp in place. You might be able to do something like that if you can connect that mounting point to the under seat boxes. Just throwing some thoughts out.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My amp is under the drivers seat. A 800 watt pioneer. I am pushing 1 10 in a box I bought several years ago. It fits under the back seat, and over the hump. I don't have pics. but of you look on ebay and amazon you will see the boxes for a GMT 400s. My box is a down fire box. Here is a link for a duel box.http://www.amazon.com/Atrend-A102-12-12-Inch-Down-Fire-Subwoofer/dp/B0013MV77Y/ref=sr_1_28?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1430190542&vehicle=1997-47-424------------1-0&sr=1-28&ymm=1997%3Achevrolet%3Ac1500&keywords=subwoofer+box

Ya, ive seen those but im looking to maybe have my speakers face towards the front seats. Really looking for custom box ideas but I may just have to do trial and error I cant seem to find any examples of what im thinking of building.

Judging by the rest of the work I've seen on his truck, I'd imagine he'll be looking for something way nicer than any pre-fab MDF box. Could at least pull some ideas from that I suppose, though.

Wish I could be more helpful but I've never dealt with an extended cab personally.

Looked up the specs on that RF amp, that's definitely a biggun'. Once again I can't really recommend anything for the extended cab specifically, but I also run a large sub amp (Lanzar OptiDrive 2500) and the back wall of the cab was really the only logical choice. I didn't want to mount directly into it though, hate to have screw holes in that. I integrated a mounting point into my behind the seat boxes that I ran some short self tapping screws into to hold the amp in place. You might be able to do something like that if you can connect that mounting point to the under seat boxes. Just throwing some thoughts out.

Mounting off the seat bracket sounds like a good idea. I thought about mounting the amps to a board then that to the back wall but id still have to screw the board to the wall so that wont really work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya, ive seen those but im looking to maybe have my speakers face towards the front seats.

This would be pretty neat, however I'm not sure if you'll have enough space to fit them like that. Never measured the space under the seat back there. I'd imagine if you can't fit 10s you could do something wild like four-six 8"s or something.

Mounting off the seat bracket sounds like a good idea.

That is a good idea. I'm sure you could brainstorm some type of anchor from that. I used to have a laptop mount that was tied into the front seat bracket in one of my old cars, was pretty sturdy.

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This would be pretty neat, however I'm not sure if you'll have enough space to fit them like that. Never measured the space under the seat back there. I'd imagine if you can't fit 10s you could do something wild like four-six 8"s or something.

That is a good idea. I'm sure you could brainstorm some type of anchor from that. I used to have a laptop mount that was tied into the front seat bracket in one of my old cars, was pretty sturdy.

Im probably going to end up with 8's. I think ima go with the solobaric square 8's. I liked the set of 15s I had, plus they make pretty nice grilles for them.

scottx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want more pics or anything let me know.

Its built into the cab, uses the rear seat belt bolts to bolt down. Built with 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. Only use MDF. Never plywood! MDF provides the best sound. I've built hundreds of boxes over 20 years and I'd be happy to help if I can.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

lester622

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want more pics or anything let me know.

Its built into the cab, uses the rear seat belt bolts to bolt down. Built with 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. Only use MDF. Never plywood! MDF provides the best sound. I've built hundreds of boxes over 20 years and I'd be happy to help if I can.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk Pro

That's a nice box but I am planning on keeping the rear seat. When I build this box I plan to use mdf as the border and for the base but the front will be fiberglass. I like the way the fiberglass looks when its rounded and I plan to paint it the same color as the truck.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im probably going to end up with 8's. I think ima go with the solobaric square 8's. I liked the set of 15s I had, plus they make pretty nice grilles for them.

I'm a fan of the Kicker SB's as well. I've got two L7 12"s that I used to run in my car, they've been sitting for years but I'm working on a giant sealed box for my 'burb to run them. Those 8"s are deceptively loud for how small they are, heard some in a display at one of my local shops a few years back. Not the cleanest sounding subs ever made, but as long as you don't send them too many watts they're fine to my picky ears and loud as hell.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
What I did:

Might not be what you're after though...