Exhaust manifolds vs aftermarketheaders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankb714

Reaction score
I have a 95 suburban with a 350 tbi. I want to put aftermarket headers on it due to an exhaust manifold leak that i have to fix. What do you guys do with the aluminum pre-heater hose that comes from the exhaust manifold to the air intake? I have seen several pictures where they just leave it of. I thought it was kinda important to warm up my truck to operating temperature during the cold months. any opinions on that?

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has never fit well on the truck (it always fit on one end, but never both at the same time) so I just got rid of it, as it was kind of ratty anyways.

Does anyone know a part # of a replacement?

Honestly, I don't feel any difference in performance or cold starting/warming up.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Honestly, a good running truck with a thermostat that is functioning correctly is probably going to be what does the most work to warm-up the engine. Besides, you don't want hot air going into the intake, and that's what you'll be getting after it warms up.

I got a K&N cold-air intake, and it didn't have a hole for that hose to connect to, so mine has been off for a couple years. I have a different setup now, but I don't think it's too big of a deal to leave it off.

Sorry, I don't know the part #. However, I do have mine, if you would like me to check shipping on it, I would just ask you to cover that cost.

jmc1997ck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recycle it. When I had my '92, I took it off when doing a engine bay simplification project. New intake, re-routing wires, adjusting heater hose lengths, etc. Like mentioned, if your colling system is operating normally it shouldn't matter...

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what its for is getting the flapper to open on the air cleaner base snorkel as the engine builds heat, absolutely necessary, no, but it does work as intended when all together. more noticeable on a carbed engine obviously but it is there for a reason.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't worry about it GMC, found it on RockAuto last night for $7 and ordered it. I appreciate you offering though.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
in california i had to have it when i smogged my truck last year in order for it to pass visual inspection.......im sure california is excessively strict in comparison to other states though

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
Oh, didn't notice you were in CA. What part?

I had the same problem a few years ago, but now I have a CAI that's CA smog legal, and doesn't require that stupid hose.

Frankb714

Reaction score
So will I be able to put headers on my truck and still get it to pass CA smog check?

Frankb714

Reaction score
Oh, didn't notice you were in CA. What part?

I had the same problem a few years ago, but now I have a CAI that's CA smog legal, and doesn't require that stupid hose.

Can you post pictures of your set up? Where did you get the cold air intake? Do you have Headers? Do you pass smog? Sorry for all the questions i just want to make sure before i add headers to my truck but i also want it to pass smog as well. Thanks in advance