Exhaust Header Don't Fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I needed to replace a rusted exhaust manifold. So I opted to buy a set of Pace Setter Headers instead. But the fitment is off. I'm not sure what to do about it. They don't line up with the catalytic converter pipes. The converter is new but I also tried with the old converter, I just didn't get a picture and I don't want to put it back on just for a picture. I don't like idea of trying to bend the converter pipes because they cost $250 and I would not be happy if I had to buy a new one because it got messed up. Before I would try to bend the converter pipes I would just buy new exhaust manifolds and not use the headers. New manifold is only about $70.

Any ideas????? The headers I ordered said they fit 96-98 Full size 4.3L.

The old Exhaust Manifold fits up okay but not great
You must be registered for see images attach

The Header doesn't even get close.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The issue is with the new cats and there piping. You can see it even on the old exhaust manifolds. I understand what you mean about not wanting to cut the new pipe on the new cats, but that is where the issue is. I have shortys on my truck, and they are a perfect fit now, but I did have to tweak the exhaust pipe a little. I had to get them in line. I used a come-a-long to pull the exhaust pipe in place. One side bolted up, butt the other side I had to pull into place. You cant move the header, you have to move the exhaust pipe. My headers have been on my truck for a long time. IDK, 7 or 8 years I guess. You may also be able to move the exhaust piping back enough so ot lines up with the headers. They seam to be to far forward. You may be able to move the exhaust system back some by tweaking the hanger brackets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I very unhappy with the converter I bought. I thought it was mandrel bent but it wasn't. And I'm too lazy to try and return it. Plus the return shipping would be very expressive. So I'm stuck with it.

I think I might build a tool to try and take a little out of the bend that's in it. If I can get a little less bend on it I can move the cat back and maybe it will work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Where'd you buy it from? If it was one of the big guys like Amazon, RockAuto, Summit Racing, JEGS, etc. then the return process should be pretty simple and they'll probably reimburse you for return shipping.

Reaction score
After lots of hours of trying to get the header to fit, I got pissed off enough I just cut the collector off and re welding it back on so it would line up. It looks like crap and I don't know how long it will hold up, but it lines up with the converter.