Engine won't do ANYTHING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
As some of you know I picked up my truck last night with a fresh transmission build. Truck started fine and shifted fine all the way home. Get in this morning and everything was still kosher. No problems. I get into town and stop at a gas station to pick up some drinks. Turn the truck off, go inside, and when I come out it won't do anything. Nothing.

Fuel pump is priming. All gauges and lights come on as normal, but it won't even crank. I checked all fuses and none blown. The only thing that comes to mind is a starter ground or solenoid. I'm going to call the shop that installed the transmission and ask if the starter was removed. Maybe a ground wasn't tightened.

FYI - The battery is less than a year old (Interstate).

97 GMC 350 STOCK

Any ideas from you smart guys?

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This sounds like a ground issue somewhere to me. Id start by pulling the negative battery terminal off the battery and check for any corrosion. Tighten that back down good, and check the other end of the ground cable. My best guess is that the problem lies in this wire.

Next possibly check out your positive battery cable, and starter to battery cable. Its possible that the trans guys just didn't get the battery terminals tight!

Tony_SS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take a hammer and tap the starter? See if you're getting voltage to it too?

Isn't that how goes... you take your truck in for work and it comes back with something else screwed up.... happens all the time.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Anybody think it could be the neutral safety switch? I think it's wired into the circuit going to the starter solenoid. Right? When it's in gear the circuit is open and closed when it's in park, allowing current to flow when the ignition is turned.

Maybe trying loosening the mount while in park and see if it cranks, then tighten it back up?

I called the shop and the tech told me they didn't touch the starter. Just unhooked the battery. I'm going to try what's already been mentioned as well as the NSS.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I feel dumb. Went and put the truck in N, fired right up. Put it in park, shut the truck off. Turned the key, fired right up. IDK

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Haha no worries man. It gets the best of all of us sometimes! :p