Engine won't do ANYTHING

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I called the shop and the tech told me they didn't touch the starter. Just unhooked the battery. I'm going to try what's already been mentioned as well as the NSS.

Thats bull!!! if they pulled the trans they had to take of the starter!!!! know way to get the torque converter bolts off with the starter on!!! so could be the starter is going out or the could be the neutral safety switch going bad. id crawl under there and make sure ALL connections & bolts are tight! remember you can't trust anyone!!!

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
As some of you know I picked up my truck last night with a fresh transmission build. Truck started fine and shifted fine all the way home. Get in this morning and everything was still kosher. No problems. I get into town and stop at a gas station to pick up some drinks. Turn the truck off, go inside, and when I come out it won't do anything. Nothing.

Fuel pump is priming. All gauges and lights come on as normal, but it won't even crank. I checked all fuses and none blown. The only thing that comes to mind is a starter ground or solenoid. I'm going to call the shop that installed the transmission and ask if the starter was removed. Maybe a ground wasn't tightened.

FYI - The battery is less than a year old (Interstate).

97 GMC 350 STOCK

Any ideas from you smart guys?

It's your starter. Mine started doing that and eventually it just gave out. Have someone try cranking it while you bang on it with a hammer, it should knock loose and crank right over.

EDIT: Since the trans shop had to take it off to pull the trans, check all the cables connected to it. One or two might be loose.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Where is the NSS?

Didn't the trans shop have to touch that? It sounds like they would have...

mounted on the drivers side of the trans. yes it has to be removed also. or at least it should if they did a rebuild because there is a seal behind it where the shift leaver comes out of the trans

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
It's your starter. Mine started doing that and eventually it just gave out. Have someone try cranking it while you bang on it with a hammer, it should knock loose and crank right over.

EDIT: Since the trans shop had to take it off to pull the trans, check all the cables connected to it. One or two might be loose.

thats my guess. something is loose!

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Thats bull!!! if they pulled the trans they had to take of the starter!!!! know way to get the torque converter bolts off with the starter on!!! so could be the starter is going out or the could be the neutral safety switch goi ng bad. id crawl under there and make sure ALL connections & bolts are tight! remember you can't trust anyone!!!

You don't HAVE to remove the starter when you pull the transmission. I didn't when I removed/replaced the other one. You can move the flywheel by hand to remove the bolts.

I'm pretty sure its the switch itself. I didn't touch anything when I started it. Just put it in neutral. Fired right up. Put it in park, shut it off. Fired right up in park.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
You don't HAVE to remove the starter when you pull the transmission. I didn't when I removed/replaced the other one. You can move the flywheel by hand to remove the bolts.

I'm pretty sure its the switch itself. I didn't touch anything when I started it. Just put it in neutral. Fired right up. Put it in park, shut it off. Fired right up in park.

Sent from Jolly Green's Droid

i don't see how it would be possible to get the torque converter bolts off with the starter in place. if you can that would have to be a pita!!!! its to easy to take 2 bolts out and 2 wires off instead of fighting with it!!!