engine to tranny brace bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know how they're equipped. It wouldn't surprise me to see the sheetmetal torque converter shield with no braces, just like a "car" application. The sheetmetal shield is held on with tiny screws, maybe even self-tapping (self-stripping!)
My 88 C1500 had the aluminum 6 bolt cover until I ordered the "built" one from Transmission Depot - they sent one with a PLASTIC 4 bolt cover which I had to heat up and bend it away from the flex plate to keep it from rubbing. Pissed me off!:321:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think those bar braces went away on the next generation of trucks. I hadn't seen them until I bought my GMT 400.

On the later trucks the 4L60e has that bellhousing that covers the entire bellhousing (I think they also added more bolts?) and the 4L80e has that bottom cast aluminum cover with the ribs. The sheet metal version went away. Maybe because the LS engine gained an extra bolt on the top of the bellhousing? The 12 o'clock one.

I don't know what the 8.1/4L85e had, but the 8.1/Allison also does not have those braces.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '99 K1500 Suburban had the braces but my '89 C1500 Stepside does not. The '89 also has the stamped steel torque converter cover that bolts in place - I'm pretty sure there weren't any screws, but I also can't guarantee it was factory.

Sam Cooper

Reaction score
My '99 K1500 Suburban had the braces but my '89 C1500 Stepside does not. The '89 also has the stamped steel torque converter cover that bolts in place - I'm pretty sure there weren't any screws, but I also can't guarantee it was factory.

The braces from the engine mount to the aluminum transmission bellhousing are a four wheel drive thing to protect the bellhousing. The transmissions with the bolt holes for the aluminum cover also have a thicker bellhousing and extra strength where the tail-housing bolts on, because the 4x4 transfer case hangs off it. If you have the goofy plastic cover, try to find an inspection cover from an older th350. It should mount right up.