engine to tranny brace bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eran tomer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one end is bolted to the torque cover and the other end to the engine mount bracket.

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SBCs ran for decades without them, so they're not necessary, but they seem like a really good idea.
"Most" SBCs weren't sold to be used in an off-road, bumpy-bouncy environment where extra support between engine and trans would be beneficial.

And it's not really the SBC that's at issue, it's the trans case.

For the record, as Rolls-Royce was developing their V-8 engine back in the Fifties, one of the problems they saw with "American" drivelines they examined, was a lack of rigidity between engine and trans, leading to NVH.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What was the difference between those bell housing covers. There's one that's just flimsy sheet metal cover (maybe on the 2wd?) and the other version was a cast aluminum cover with ribs (maybe on the 4x4?)

I think my K3500 with the 5.7 has those little rod braces, but I can't remember what kind of bellhousing cover it has?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was the difference between those bell housing covers. There's one that's just flimsy sheet metal cover (maybe on the 2wd?) and the other version was a cast aluminum cover with ribs (maybe on the 4x4?)
I haven't been under a 2WD GMT400; I don't know how they're equipped. It wouldn't surprise me to see the sheetmetal torque converter shield with no braces, just like a "car" application. The sheetmetal shield is held on with tiny screws, maybe even self-tapping (self-stripping!)

I think my K3500 with the 5.7 has those little rod braces, but I can't remember what kind of bellhousing cover it has?
Every 4WD GMT400 I've looked at has the stabilizing struts bolted to the reinforced aluminum torque converter cover; attached to the trans case with real, live bolts.

I have an extra aluminum torque converter cover for 700/4L60/some 4L60E if anyone cares. No struts, though. I don't expect these covers would fit 400/3L80/4L80E but I could be wrong. Note that the trans case would have to have appropriate threaded holes to mount the aluminum cover. I don't know if 2WD trans cases can be drilled and tapped for the larger bolts.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There was a thread on the transmission subforum and the guy had issues with broken transmission case. He'd gone through 2 or 3. I don't know if that question about the braces had been asked.

IIRC, it turned out to be a drive line issue, maybe the driveshaft causing the trouble?