Engine swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillMGK

Reaction score
Hey guys, So the motor in my truck just started ticking yesterday, ****** me off, I just changed the oil and it isnt leaking anywhere, the truck has no leaks, I changed it with 10w30 castor oil, she started tickin yesterday when I was in line at the pharmacy i could hear the echo pretty clearly off the wall, its a small tick but I know over time it will grow into a major problem. So I'm stuck between 4 ideas.. 1. Buy a newer truck 2. 305 swap from the 4.3l in it 3. 350 swap from the 4.3l 4. The almighty 5.3l swap from my 4.3l.

Money is an issue
I might can trade my truck up
Its a 98 Maroon Stepside Single Cab plain jane.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
It really depends on what you really want and how much you can scrape and make deals on. A good running junkyard 350 with a bit of freshening up would be the most economical route.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Positive its not just an exhaust leak? They can sometimes sound just like a noisey lifter. I'd bet it will still run for another 100K! A 350 swap would be my route, fairly cheap and easily done.

Branwhy

Reaction score
I am underway in this same swap myself, I just removed my bagged out 4.3 and bought a low mileage unraped 350 tbi truck from an old man, if you have any questions just pm me, all the stuff I ran into I can tell you and how to fix them, good luck!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big difference between a tick and rod knock. Lots of possibilities that don't require a new motor, unless you just want an excuse to swap. Exhaust leak, lifter tick, valve adjustment, cracked flexplate, all could cause what you describe.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have to admit that I was planning a simple 4.3 freshen and drop into our 93 but I kept hearing things... Things like "you can do an LS swap for less than $1000, do an LS swap and you'll get about the same mileage, you'll be better off swapping that, 4.3 to V8 and you have to swap frame mounts. I will tell you that if you can swap an engine and understand a schematic it really doesn't look too hard. I bought a driving 2000 with a 4.8 for $700. I plan on using "every part of the buffalo" possible and recouping as much money as possible by selling off the rest on craigslist and evilbay.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have to admit that I was planning a simple 4.3 freshen and drop into our 93 but I kept hearing things... Things like "you can do an LS swap for less than $1000, do an LS swap and you'll get about the same mileage, you'll be better off swapping that, 4.3 to V8 and you have to swap frame mounts. I will tell you that if you can swap an engine and understand a schematic it really doesn't look too hard. I bought a driving 2000 with a 4.8 for $700. I plan on using "every part of the buffalo" possible and recouping as much money as possible by selling off the rest on craigslist and evilbay.

Awesome be sure to document it