Engine Died On Increased Throttle, Can Only Crank-No-Start In ‘99 Suburban 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check your ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse box. If it is intact, my thought would be a bad ignition switch. Fairly common failure on these trucks. Not that other things cannot fail, but my next item to test would be the ignition switch. The pink wire on both the ICM and Coil should have battery voltage with the key in the Run as well as Start positions.

carnerd3000

Reaction score
Check your ECM1 fuse in the underhood fuse box. If it is intact, my thought would be a bad ignition switch. Fairly common failure on these trucks. Not that other things cannot fail, but my next item to test would be the ignition switch. The pink wire on both the ICM and Coil should have battery voltage with the key in the Run as well as Start positions.
Ok, and can that be caused by plugging the connectors back in while the truck was in the "key on" position? Did I possibly cause a shock to that pink wire?

carnerd3000

Reaction score
While it is unlikely it could have blown the fuse.
And that's exactly what happened. Thankfully one of the spare fuses in the box already was a small 20 amp fuse.

And now it's running again. Looks like it was at least the distributor rotor, but of course I replaced the cap as well. Thanks again for everyone's help!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I had forgotten (cause it's been a while!) but there's also a "Crank" fuse in the dashboard fuse block (in the end of the driver's side). IIRC it's a 10A(those are red and that's how I remember it). If it won't crank, check that; applies to all Vortec as far as I know.
While we were living in Katy with my cousin, one morning the Burb wouldn't start. Battery was okay, connections good. When he got home from work (he's a city fleet mechanic) he checked the wiring diagrams and asked me what the truck would and wouldn't do. Replaced the fuse, worked just fine! Also had this happen on my boss's mom's 99 Suburban, replaced the fuse and the truck started.