Engine Died On Increased Throttle, Can Only Crank-No-Start In ‘99 Suburban 5.7L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

carnerd3000

Reaction score
Yesterday I had to go somewhere in the morning, and a few minutes after leaving my house, my Suburban started hesitating when accelerating, and then around 15 seconds after that it turned off completely while driving. I was able to get it to start once or twice, but it had a hard time doing so, and when the engine was on it died again as soon as I increased the throttle. I got the battery light on my dash after each time the engine died, and at one point I smelled sulfur, so I don't know if I was just stressing out the battery or something. I did have to get the vehicle towed back to my house.

Today when I went to look at it, there was still power and I was able to at least crank the engine, but still no start. I checked the battery, and it was at 12.3 volts. I also checked the terminals to the battery, and there was a little corrosion on the positive terminal, but it didn't seem like enough to hurt the connection substantially. I took the alternator out and had it checked at an auto parts store, and it was still fine. I did try to check the wires/cables from the battery to the alternator using a voltmeter, as well as the 175-amp fuse that's attached to the radiator fan shroud (although honestly, I do wonder if I properly checked those cables), but from what I could tell nothing was wrong. Also, the battery I have now was bought last year, so it would be weird if it was the problem, but I guess anything is possible. Although, to be fair, my Suburban was sitting outside for 3 months due to a couple of repairs I had to do. This was from February to May, and I did go through a somewhat snowy winter in the Northeast. The battery was actually in the back of the vehicle while it was off the road, but of course it was still in freezing temperatures. Maybe that could have done it? I'm thinking of taking the battery to a place to have it load tested, at least if I don't know what to do next.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What gives you the idea you have a battery problem? You said an, acceleration, running problem. Eng stops running,with key in run position " battery" and other warning lights illuminate.
Shouldn't you be leaning towards ignition and or fuel problem maybe.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't you be leaning towards ignition and or fuel problem

Ditto ^^^

Rename this thread to “Engine died on throttle tip-in, now cranks-no-start ‘99 Suburban 5.7L”. I assume it is gas 5.7L (you should state).

It belongs in a different forum. Perhaps an admin will move.

Last edited:

carnerd3000

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for the replies. Wasn't sure if it was a fuel/ignition issue, since the battery light came on, which threw me off. I also don't have a scanner in my possession, which is something I really want to get anyway.

Edit: I changed the title to not include the battery and alternator. First, I'll check the fuel lines and pump, and electrical components related to the fuel system. Thanks again!

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, check fuel pressure first then get an inline spark light to see if you have spark. Those two will tell you where to go next.

Checking codes is always good too. Borrow a "code reader" for now, buy something suitable later. Codes may give you a clue as to what's happening (or not).

But fuel pressure and spark are what the engine needs (well, "air" too), and presumably it's missing at least one of these magic components, so starting there is a fine place to begin.

There's always the chance that something else is the problem, e.g., the timing chain jumped a tooth, so if it *is* getting fuel and spark that doesn't mean it will run. But without them, it certainly will not.

Last edited:

1999 Suburban

Reaction score
Are the ends of your battery cables still factory wrapped with that heavy rubber? I had a similar problem with my '99 Suburban where it would just shut down all the sudden. When this happened, I got out, opened the hood, and jiggled the positive cable until I had connection again. Eventually I just cut away that rubber so there was only steel ends. Problem solved. That rubber interferes with the connection.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Are the ends of your battery cables still factory wrapped with that heavy rubber? I had a similar problem with my '99 Suburban where it would just shut down all the sudden. When this happened, I got out, opened the hood, and jiggled the positive cable until I had connection again. Eventually I just cut away that rubber so there was only steel ends. Problem solved. That rubber interferes with the connection.

Your lead spacer is probably crushed.