Electrical nightmare due to jumper cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So do you have one going to the intake manifold as well?
Thinking about that, the braces for the A/C compressor, behind the tensioner, and the alternator are bolted to the intake manifold which would be a direct path from the accessory bracket to it.
You must be registered for see images attach

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
I would suggest getting back to some basics, make sure you can turn the engine over by hand (wrench on crank bolt)
if the engine is free disconnect the positive cable from the battery to the starter (it is the red cable and goes to the plus side of the battery right?)and measure resistance.
If that is good reinstall it, if not replace it, making sure you have good clean tight connections at both ends.
Then you could disconnect the wires at the alternator and tape them off and see if you still have the same issue.

Reaction score
Dead short. Going to catch on fire if you are not careful.
I pull the entire engine harness off along with the bulkhead connector. A few knicked wires but nothing melted. I repaired everything and relumed the harness. I pull the bulkhead connector inside the cab and the fusebox and still nothing was melted or shorted. The alternator and battery were both bad when tested. I got a longer ground and ima reinstall and see what happens

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doublecheck your grounds make sure you did not pinch anything. Ensure you are not the victim of chinesium poisoning. Unplug everything under the hood except what you need to crank the engine. Replace the fusible link for the starter (which i have seen fry with a backwards jump situation). Get it cranking. No crank? Work that problem. Cranks? start plugging stuff back in one at a time till you see symptoms return, troubleshoot those. Lather rinse repeat. You may have a fried switch, relay or other component( not necesarily a wire) too. Everybody is a suspect until they arent.

Last edited: