Electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jbaer

Reaction score
Hey what's up working on the 89 2500 carb swapped very confused disheartened lost and need some very expert help. Was going all good running fine that all of a sudden bam all the power went out in the whole truck no headlights no dome light no click from bad battery situation no anything at all like there's no power even hooked to it. So I have bought a new battery new ignition switch new alternator checked all my grounds cleaned all the terminals on the firewall and still no power please help thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proper punctuation, no run-on sentences, capital letters starting new sentences, appropriate paragraphs, etc. would be appreciated. Around here, that was taught in elementary school.

Wild guess with no evidence: Power from battery to terminal strip on right side of firewall, behind plastic cover is disturbed. Burnt wire, loose connection, something like that.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Proper punctuation, no run-on sentences, capital letters starting new sentences, appropriate paragraphs, etc. would be appreciated and help us understand what you're asking.
FTFY

Grab your multimeter and check the voltage between the battery posts. Then check the voltage between your battery terminals. If you don't have the same voltage, one of your terminals isn't making a good connection. If that's the case, wire brush the battery terminals - they can look clean but have a layer of oxidation that keeps the electrons from flowing.

Do you still have side posts? If so, consider chopping them off and going top-post. I had constant problems with the side post terminals on my Suburban loosening themselves. Now all my GMT400s have top posts.

Jbaer

Reaction score
Much appreciated for everyone help. I think I found the problem. It is the fusible link at the distribution box. I am going to try that when I get home. Thanks again.