Electrical nightmare due to jumper cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is true. I just got done getting the battery tested. It shows proper volts vut the test failed. Ima get a longer ground to find another hole on the block to ground it to

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

There should be a threaded hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump boss. That's a short wire that shouldn't require much if any modification.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I've had 3 TBI trucks and they all have had the fuse block on the driver's side in front of the firewall. They are all 94-95, so maybe it was originally on the pass side in 88 but I assure you that wire runs across the radiator on at least some TBI trucks.

95 only, I stand corrected. 94 was still the older style with no underhood fuse box. 95 had the driver side underhood fuse box with the TBI, all the older models had the passenger junction with fusible links.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all the older models had the passenger junction with fusible links.
^^^ yep and the wire feeding the fuse block inside the cab, is run from the distribution block along the fire wall. There's no power wire (no wires at all for that matter) going over the radiator.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
There should be a threaded hole on the front of the block by the fuel pump boss. That's a short wire that shouldn't require much if any modification.
Yes on the vortec 5.7, there's a bolt hole by the fuel pump boss( where the older small block engines had a mechanical, camshaft driven fuel pump, back in the carburetor dinosaur days LOL). On my 99 Burb there's a stud there, that's made with a "nut" in the middle for installation and removal. There's a threaded bit that sticks out; that's where the ground from the battery cable goes IIRC. Had this all apart in February last year, just don't remember it precisely......
If you're familiar with the fuel pump replacement on the old engines, this stud is in the location of the bolt hole you'd put a short bolt in to hold the pump pushrod in place so it doesn't slide out when the pump is removed. I remember those days, when changing the fuel pump on a 350 only took half an hour and you didn't have to get under the truck and mess with the tank.....

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a threaded bit that sticks out; that's where the ground from the battery cable goes IIRC. Had this all apart in February last year, just don't remember it precisely......
Yeah, without going out and verifying it, I think the ground wire goes to this threaded hole but, IIRC that's also where the accessory bracket goes 1st then the ground on the stud.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It started bugging me so, I went and looked (after I spritzed my short ribs with apple cider on the Traeger), and I was wrong, ha ha! The ground wire goes to one of the accessory bracket bolts that goes into the head with a star washer below the A/C compressor and to the right (as you look at it) of the A.I.R. pump, see red arrow. Which makes sense when the other ground goes from the back of the head to the firewall.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It started bugging me so, I went and looked (after I spritzed my short ribs with apple cider on the Traeger), and I was wrong, ha ha! The ground wire goes to one of the accessory bracket bolts that goes into the head with a star washer below the A/C compressor and to the right (as you look at it) of the A.I.R. pump, see red arrow. Which makes sense when the other ground goes from the back of the head to the firewall.

Good to know that it's like that on a TBI motor too, not just the vortec. Thanks!
You're making me hungry talking about the BBQ.....

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, without going out and verifying it, I think the ground wire goes to this threaded hole but, IIRC that's also where the accessory bracket goes 1st then the ground on the stud.

Ok good that's the one I was talking about. So do you have one going to the intake manifold as well?