Electric fan swap, on the cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you test your A/C temps bfore and after the fan mod?
My 98 has the stock fan and my A/C temps at idle are 41 degrees. It goes up to 46 while cruising down the highway. My engine temp NEVER gets over 210.
Not really, but, keep in mind that it is very hot most of the year here in south Lousiana. Extream heat warning for today. high 90s. With good air flow across the condensor core, my AC has always done good. low 40s temps easy. Thing is, with the OE 5 blade clutch fan, it doesnt move enough air across the condencor core at idle, and slow speed, stop and go traffic, to keep the truck cold in the extream heat we see down here. It would go from cold to not rally cool IDK maybe 60s, untill I started moving again, and air flow would increese. With the e-fans, this is no longer an issue. There is always enough air flow across the condensor core to keep the AC working properly. As for the engine temp, I run a cold thermostat (170 degree) because of our extream heat conditions, I find that my truck runs better at a cooler tempture. I have never had a problem with my engine over heating. I do keep up with my cooling system. Clean coolant, and my radiator was rodded out within the last few years (2 or 3 IDK)

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was going over your setup and noticed you're in Southern Louisiana. A few years ago I trailered dealer trade cars and I had to make a swap in Slidell. Keep in mind I'm in the Memphis area where it gets very hot and humid but when I arrived at Slidell and by the time I swapped cars on that trailer I thought I was gonna die! I've never been so hot in my life! The sales manager took me inside and gave me two cold bottles of water and while we were sitting there I finished them off in about two minutes. He said I must be from up north. I replied that I'm from west Tennessee and he said, "That's up north to us". :doh2:

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was going over your setup and noticed you're in Southern Louisiana. A few years ago I trailered dealer trade cars and I had to make a swap in Slidell. Keep in mind I'm in the Memphis area where it gets very hot and humid but when I arrived at Slidell and by the time I swapped cars on that trailer I thought I was gonna die! I've never been so hot in my life! The sales manager took me inside and gave me two cold bottles of water and while we were sitting there I finished them off in about two minutes. He said I must be from up north. I replied that I'm from west Tennessee and he said, "That's up north to us". :doh2:
Grate story. Made me laugh. It does get hot here. Very hot, but it is also very humid at the same time. The summers here are our bad time of the year. From about June to about September. Thing is, it almost never snows here. The winters are very mild. It does get cold, but only for a few days, then it's warms up again. Lafayette, is also on
I-10, so our weather is about the same as Slidell. We have a saying, if you don't like the weather, just stick around for a while, it will change.

xAFNYx

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man. This is so cool. I wish I had the brain power to figure stuff like this out. I hate night time YouTube holes bc now I'm absolutely positive I need dual electric fans. Not only for performance and comfort reasons... But look at how much it cleans up the engine bay.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How did you mount...?
How did I mount mine? The SST brackets hold it, top, and bottom. It slides into the bottom bracket, and the top, has a lip that fits over the fan shroud.

Attachments

• 20180525_105440.jpg
    20180525_105440.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180525_105414.jpg
    20180525_105414.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180530_201051.jpg
    20180530_201051.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 30

katwood16

Reaction score
Hey man from the looks of things you've been running this setup for 5 years or more. Has everything still been working and what adjustments besides that new sensor have you run into? I'm rebuilding an l31 out of my 96 k2500 and am back and forth on the electric vs clutch fans. I'm just trying to get an idea of the longevity of your setup and find any long term issues. Thank you for the thread and your through explanation of your process.