Electric fan swap, on the cheap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Why bother with all the welding and just put the sensor in the spare port on the passenger side head? thats where i put mine.
No bother for me, I already finished with the new housing. It took about 5 minutes, maybe

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I spent some time this weekend taping up wires. Once the install is complete I will post new pics.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up the same fan setup this weekend and planning on doing the conversion also.

Shroud looks great BTW.
I am impressed with how quite these fans are, and it seams like they don't move that much air, but I know they do. AC is ice cold, no over heat issues, and it's in the mid 90s, high 90s next week. gas mileage has come up a little bit, and so has engine performance. Its just a good swap all the way around. If I can help, just let me know. I'm very happy with mine so far.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up the same fan setup this weekend and planning on doing the conversion also.

Shroud looks great BTW.
Someone on another forum, had sent me a wiring diagram for the Cadillac DTS fans. They are 2 speed, and can be wired in series. IDK why he pulled the diagram, but he did. Being you are in a cold climet, you may want to wire them on slow speed. You could also keep the fans off until the engine warms up. I found this video on wiring fans with 3 relays. This will give you dual speeds. On the DTS the fans a controlled by the ECM of course.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Let me not confuse you. I have 3 relays, yes, but, each fan has its own relay, the 3ed relay is to turn on the other 2 relays when the AC comes on. First 2 relays, are wired to a rocker switch on the dash. When I install my temp switch, I will tap into the same wire under my hood that the rocker switch turns on. Since its so hot here now, my AC stays on all of the time for now anyway.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Planned on running a 2 relay setup with two Temp sensors. Plus will have over ride for both fan's just like your setup.

By adding a electric water pump it has helped keep things in check too. I just want to eliminate the clutch fan and have less of a drag on the motor :)

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I installed the new thermostat housing with the new temp sensor tonight. As you can see, I spent some time over the weekend tapping up wires, My install is complete for the most part. I may add a light to the dash that comes on with the fans, to let me know that they are on, IDK yet. So my fans come on with the temp switch, with the AC compressor, and with the rocker switch on the dash. I left everything off, and let the new temp sensor turn the fans on, and the temp gauge stayed in the same spot as it always has. I let the truck run for a little while, and the fans went off, then after about 1 or 2 mins, they kicked back on. So I know the new temp sensor is working. I ordered the temp sensor off of e-bay. It was $25. I has 2 connectors. As my relays are wired to come on with a positive input. I wanted to have the temp sensor do the same.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I finally filled up this morning. It looks like I gained a little gas mileage, maybe 1/2 MPG. Power is better too. No Hugh gains, but the engine does have more pep. I am sure I could get better MPGs, If I kept my foot out of it, but hay where is the fun in that.

Last edited: