EBC Yellowstuff Brake Pads - Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Probably just going to go with the EBCs as I made a mistake looking at their pricing earlier. They're actually $100ish for the pair instead of each, about the same price as the Brembos. Part number RK7013.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084L6GFA

(The Amazon listing just has a stock photo, that is the correct part number. More accurate pictures can be found on Summit Racing.)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I ran the Brembo rotors years ago. The Hawk pads heat checked them so I couldn't have them resurfaced. Now I have El cheapo parts store rotors. So far, so good.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I ran the Brembo rotors years ago. The Hawk pads heat checked them so I couldn't have them resurfaced. Now I have El cheapo parts store rotors. So far, so good.

Thanks, good to know. So much for their claims of improved heat resistance, I guess maybe there's a reason the Brembos are discontinued...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No fault of the rotors, the current ones are getting checked too. The Hawk pads are just hard on the rotors. I don't recall my friend's Lancer killing the rotors with the yellows though.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well, so much for that. Emailed the Brembo store about availability as they were out of stock and apparently that's a discontinued part and they're not expecting them to come back.

I had Brembo rotors on my 1-ton years ago, and was disappointed to find them NLA. Now I have Raybestos R-line for both my truck and Saturn.... not performance by any means, but just decent daily driver hardware, for little money. They're Chinese of course, but the Brembos I purchased many years ago were out of Mexico... well at least one of them, the other may have been Canadian, as it seems like the COO was cast into one of them "Made in Mexico" and the other was different.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm kind of undecided on the rotors at this point. I'm leaning towards those EBCs I linked earlier, but also considering either parts house stuff (like the Raybestos). The other thing I'm wondering (because @Supercharged111 mentioned the rotor wear he's experienced with the Hawk pads) is if I'd be better off going with a fancy slotted rotor considering there's a decent chance that the performance pads may eat them up anyway. Downside of that seems to be that the pads wouldn't last as long.. But on the other hand maybe the slotted rotors would stay cooler?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did some more looking and found out that EBC offers a slotted rotor called the "GD Sport" that claims to run 100-200 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than a blank face rotor under heavy braking.

https://ebcbrakes.com/product/3gd-sport-rotors/

At less than $10 more expensive than their blank rotors I linked earlier I might give them a try. Part number GD7013.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CGPK16

I've always bought blank face rotors for a few reasons. Mainly because I've always heard that they're more resistant to damage and that the more surface area you have touching the pads the better. Also that slotted rotors are more difficult or impossible to resurface should the need arise. But if I'm going to be running a more aggressive pad that beats them up anyway I don't see much use in worrying about that last point. I'm thinking that the EBC GD Sport rotors combined with their Yellowstuff pads might be a good performing combination that would allow me to run at least a couple sets of pads before having to replace the rotors again.

This situation is really just becoming a fun quasi-science experiment at this point, I want to see how good the stock JB6 brakes can be.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I think only a high dollar rotor could stave off those heat cracks. That and the Hawks are just plain hard on rotors. Seeing how the pads never faded I doubt the brakes were really all that hot in terms of wrecking rotors.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think only a high dollar rotor could stave off those heat cracks.

What do you think about those slotted EBCs I linked in the last post? The Amazon link I posted has them listed at $117 per set but they seem to be around $180 most other places.

EDIT - Actually more like $200-$220.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Slotted is supposed to be better. I can't say as I've always run blanks even on the race car.