Dual Exhaust Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My C2500 Suburban has a dual system and no crossover. No idea if it's standard but looking at the rear section I'd guess that bit has been cobbled together.
My pipes run down the passenger side then one crosses over at the rear so the two pipes emerge either side of the drawbar - but with the left bank exhausting on the right and vice versa. Pipe lengths are balanced that way.

Channeled 91

Manic Mechanic
Reaction score
A 3" single exhaust flows better than duals without a crossover. Do your duals run down either side of the truck, or do they run down the same side? I ran mine down the same side, and the x-pipe was only $20. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-sxp4

Mine run down the passenger side/ and end just at the back of the cab. plan on running tail pipes off of the two mufflers.1 to each side.
You must be registered for see images attach

Mr_white_obs

Reaction score
hello;
when I bought my 1991 C1500 it had an aftermarket dual exhaust system. My question is, should there be a "H" or "X" pipe set-up on it. There is no cross over.

I don't know that anyone can be sure if there SHOULD be a cross-over or not. There are wayyy too many varying opinions and even more false information out there when it comes to ideal exhaust setups. I did try a couple different setups with my dual exhaust however. I was running 2.5" pipe from the manifolds back with absolutely no crossover and dual flow-master super 44's (stock manifolds, no headers, so if you have headers it might be a different story). I didn't notice any performance gains from stock exhaust. I added a cross-over H pipe and it didn't change much in terms of performance, but it totally changed the sound! It was a lot smoother and quite frankly a lot more bearable on the highway. Many people will say that an X-pipe is for horsepower and an H-pipe increases low end torque, etc. etc, but I believe that without proper tuning, the exhaust is next to irrelevant

That being said, if you are going to put a crossover pipe or x-pipe in (which I would suggest as a personal preference for sound anyway) there's a bit of an old mechanics trick to finding the right spot. take a wax crayon or candle and mark your exhaust pipes from the manifolds back. Run the truck for a minute or 2 and the point where the wax is not yet melted is the ideal spot for the crossover.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I put true duals on my 97. No crossover. They run out of the back. Its fine, and I do run the hell out od my truck. Been thinking about a X pipe for a long time. If you are going to do a crossover, then X pipe is the way to go. I gained a good bit of power with the true duals, but, at the same time, I replaced the OE muffler with some old school 24" glass packs. No restrictions in those mufflers. I have since gutted my cats and made a set of cat simulators for my rear 02 sensors. Not needed in per 96 trucks.

Reaction score
As mentioned above, while they are not necessary, they will change the sound and gain you a little torque. In a stock to mild application it probably wont be enough to measure acceleration wise, but it will sound different. The older muscle cars typically have no crossover and give a rougher burble note. Modern cars like the Mustang/Camaro use x-pipes and have a more refined sound. Challengers use h-pipes from what I've seen and sound closer to no crossover. Single exhausts act similar to an x-pipe in the sound department.

I have had 3 variations of exhaust on my stock L05 within the last year ranging from loud straight pipe to a muffler quieter than stock. I measured 10-30 and 10-60 times and no real difference, only testing variance.