Driving Lights vs Headlights - Difference?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad told me years ago that the voltage is dropped a bit I don’t know where he got it from but he does read a lot even at his age 91 years young.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to add in another observation, my folks and I have owned two GMC Yukons; a 1996 and 1997, both with DRL and both had ni visible difference between modes. I will say that both trucks seemed to have miserable output from the stock lights, rough driving in the country late at night.

HTH!

:)

Jeff7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my 1999 they are different brightness.

I usually use the DRL at night, unless I am on a non lighted roadway etc.

Not a huge difference, enough to notice though.

Dude that's not very safe, your tail lights aren't on with the DRLs, if it's dark enough (or poor visibility due to snow/rain/fog) that you want DRLs on then you should be turning your full headlights on so people behind you can see you. Even on lighted roads. I mean, what's the loss of being more visible?

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For years, ACDelco sold a rather expensive DRL module that had park brake apply cancel option and other features. The module controlled the low beams as posted above, but it uses a simple PWM at 50% of battery available. A 556 IC timer was used in "Astable Mode" to create a true square wave or on-off that is still faster than the human eye. It's circuitry, controlled two "P-type MOSFET's" to produce 6 to 7.2 volt DC to operated the low beams. The benefit is bulb life is extended by twice as compared to full voltage on continuously. Most headlights pull about 4 amps, and bulbs are cheap for the most point. I just like the idea of DRL to help me being seen in all weather conditions.
Sorry about getting to geeky, but I taught 6 electrical classes for Delco and retired after 30+ years of being an ASE Master Tech. Just run a switchable relay to control you low beams and be safe.

For those of use who ride big bikes, most all states limit you to three lights. Ok. But if I point one toward the right curb at eye ball height and the rest on high beam all of the time, I will explained to the officer, I have a loose mount and see if that gets me out of a ticket. As do loud pipes save lives, being seen is the main issue. Air horns, not included.
I tell others, they could drive faster if they put down the cell phone.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For years, ACDelco sold a rather expensive DRL module that had park brake apply cancel option and other features. The module controlled the low beams as posted above, but it uses a simple PWM at 50% of battery available. A 556 IC timer was used in "Astable Mode" to create a true square wave or on-off that is still faster than the human eye. It's circuitry, controlled two "P-type MOSFET's" to produce 6 to 7.2 volt DC to operated the low beams. The benefit is bulb life is extended by twice as compared to full voltage on continuously. Most headlights pull about 4 amps, and bulbs are cheap for the most point. I just like the idea of DRL to help me being seen in all weather conditions.
Sorry about getting to geeky, but I taught 6 electrical classes for Delco and retired after 30+ years of being an ASE Master Tech. Just run a switchable relay to control you low beams and be safe.

For those of use who ride big bikes, most all states limit you to three lights. Ok. But if I point one toward the right curb at eye ball height and the rest on high beam all of the time, I will explained to the officer, I have a loose mount and see if that gets me out of a ticket. As do loud pipes save lives, being seen is the main issue. Air horns, not included.
I tell others, they could drive faster if they put down the cell phone.

Was this DRL module ever standard on these trucks? Or just a part that they had available?

Thanks for the info by the way, very interesting. I figured if they did do something like this it was probably PWM based.

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Dude that's not very safe, your tail lights aren't on with the DRLs, if it's dark enough (or poor visibility due to snow/rain/fog) that you want DRLs on then you should be turning your full headlights on so people behind you can see you. Even on lighted roads. I mean, what's the loss of being more visible?

Thanks for you concern.

Guess I should have said:

I usually use the DRL at night(along with the park lamps/running lights), unless I am on a non lighted roadway etc.

Peace.