Driver's door handle giving me problems........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I've noticed that when I open the drivers door I'm having to pull the handle all the way out then give it a little more tug to get the door to open. I'm afrade if I keep doing this the handle will eventually break. Cold the cable get stretched? Or can it slip?

Ideas?

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
if your talking about an inside handle, you might as well replace it its either bent or cracked. it actually just hooks to a solid rod inside the door. so the damage is already done, replacement time.

Sent from my static android

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
Well Robert, as you know- when things get older, a few miles on them... Things just aren't as tight as they used to be.

I'm thinking that whichever parts (that articulate) have "stretched".

I recently swapped my passenger (exterior) door handle (and associated parts) from an '01. It's tight and has no slack whatsoever.

-Truckin'-

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
if your talking about an inside handle, you might as well replace it its either bent or cracked. it actually just hooks to a solid rod inside the door. so the damage is already done, replacement time.

Sent from my static android

Yes, it's the interior handle. Does the bezel around it just pop off? I don't see any screws holding it on.

chevyman0191

OBS till I die
Reaction score
yeah it jus pops off....my cuzin had this same problem with his truck replaced it and works as good as new now.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
You might want to just go ahead and take the whole door panel off. While you're in there I would just go ahead and replace the rods too.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
You might want to just go ahead and take the whole door panel off. While you're in there I would just go ahead and replace the rods too.

Why? Its a PITA and unless they are bent or broken they are fine. Not really a wear item.