Driver Airbag Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
I have a 2000 C3500 that is not equipped with airbags, but I want to change the steering wheel to a nicer leather wrapped airbag wheel.
The junkyards around here won’t sell any air bags whatsoever, so I was wanting to find out if you can just remove the actual airbag out of a 98+ airbag wheel and still use the horn button/cover properly?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but I think you need the airbag assembly for the cover to fit and work properly. Here's some installation instructions for a Grant 61031 airbag wheel.

http://www.grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97558-00-01.pdf

IMO you'd probably be better off looking for a leather wrapped non-airbag wheel, but I wish you the best of luck with that. I've been attempting to help another member locate one (GM part number 16752331) and they are discontinued/rare as hen's teeth. He actually ended up having a vinyl non-airbag wheel recovered in leather ($$$).