Dreaming of next year....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I want to stick some bigger tires on my truck, but I think I'll just wait until next year with snow season rolling around. 35" tires are what I'm looking to stick on, so I'm just planning/dreaming here.

First off I've got 3.73 gears- how bad is this going to be on them? Would it be a lot better to wait until I can afford to put in 4.10 or 4.56? (well, at least until I can justify spending the money on it)

Anyways, I'm just thinking here.... I know every truck is different in how it sits, but what would it take to clear 315/75/16 tires? I've got a 3" BL already and I know some clear 35" tires with only that, but I'm going to be getting some 9" rims with a little offset, so I know that will make it a little harder to clear them. Will cranking be enough, or am I going to be rubbing like crazy?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
youll likely rub. do a suspension lift if your gonna go 35's

3.73's with 33's is great for driving. 3.73's with 35's and your truck will be slower on the bottom end.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 3" BL, crank, and 35" DC Fun Country II's and I do rub only when the wheels I turned all the way to the left my rims are 12.5" wide though but yes you will rub. I too want a 4" lift but I just cant see it fitting in my budget for this and my Nova.

iEnding

Georgia Boy
Reaction score
I have 315's with 3.42 gears. Drives fine and will get up and go no problem. I lack power on hills but not enough to be annoying. I have 16's and rub at full lock but that's it

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
First off I've got 3.73 gears- how bad is this going to be on them? Would it be a lot better to wait until I can afford to put in 4.10 or 4.56? (well, at least until I can justify spending the money on it)

$1000 on gears now or $1500 on trans later only to spend that $1000 on gears anyway. Go 4.56 the extra weight of the 35s and the added hieght you will want a little more gear. With 3.73s if your trans is shifting alot and building up heat it will shorten the life. I'm not saying that you HAVE to regear and some people have great luck not doing it but in my eyes unless a truck has the correct gearing for bigger tires it hasnt been done rite. I have 4.10s with 265/70R17ss in my 04 and after having an over geared truck I have to say that is how it will always be, when I lift my 88 RCSB it will be getting 4.88s with 35 as will the 04.

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I have 315's with 3.42 gears. Drives fine and will get up and go no problem. I lack power on hills but not enough to be annoying. I have 16's and rub at full lock but that's it

Those are NBS stock rims- 7 inches wide, right? That would tuck your tires in more, but you have no crank.

I have a 3" BL, crank, and 35" DC Fun Country II's and I do rub only when the wheels I turned all the way to the left my rims are 12.5" wide though but yes you will rub. I too want a 4" lift but I just cant see it fitting in my budget for this and my Nova.

:lol: 12.5" wow- I bet you have a killer stance. Yeah, I'm sure you would rub. With you wheels head on, how much is sticking out past the fender or is most of that in the wheel wells? (rubbing on the frame or on the bumper or BOTH, :rofl:)

$1000 on gears now or $1500 on trans later only to spend that $1000 on gears anyway. Go 4.56 the extra weight of the 35s and the added hieght you will want a little more gear. With 3.73s if your trans is shifting alot and building up heat it will shorten the life. I'm not saying that you HAVE to regear and some people have great luck not doing it but in my eyes unless a truck has the correct gearing for bigger tires it hasnt been done rite. I have 4.10s with 265/70R17ss in my 04 and after having an over geared truck I have to say that is how it will always be, when I lift my 88 RCSB it will be getting 4.88s with 35 as will the 04.

Good logic. And I follow what you are saying- even with the 3.73 and 33" tires I feel like its not quite geared low enough... I think 4.10 and 33" would be ideal. Maybe what I should do is this:

1- rims
2- gears
3- switch lifts (from body to suspension) OR block and crank
4- tires (i know, i know- the part we all want to get to right away :lol:)

That way no parts are really in danger, aside from the cranking issue, if I go that route. Plus I'm thinking about a custom bumper, so I might as well wait on that until I figure out if the BL is staying on, cuz that will kind of affect mounting...

BTW- your from Clarion, hey? I roll through there once a week. (not in my truck- company vehicle) I'm out closer to Hampton. Have you joined the Iowa Group yet?

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good logic. And I follow what you are saying- even with the 3.73 and 33" tires I feel like its not quite geared low enough... I think 4.10 and 33" would be ideal. Maybe what I should do is this:

1- rims
2- gears
3- switch lifts (from body to suspension) OR block and crank
4- tires (i know, i know- the part we all want to get to right away :lol:)

That way no parts are really in danger, aside from the cranking issue, if I go that route. Plus I'm thinking about a custom bumper, so I might as well wait on that until I figure out if the BL is staying on, cuz that will kind of affect mounting...

BTW- your from Clarion, hey? I roll through there once a week. (not in my truck- company vehicle) I'm out closer to Hampton. Have you joined the Iowa Group yet?

I would start buying stuff and collecting then install at one time, I have not joined the Iowa group yet I dont think. Who do you work for?

Vortec Lover

Behold the Beast
Reaction score
I would start buying stuff and collecting then install at one time, I have not joined the Iowa group yet I dont think. Who do you work for?

A publishing company out of Hampton. I make a stop at the office there in Clarion. (I drive about 800 miles in two days for them)

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/group.php?groupid=11 Here's the Iowa Group! (working on membership, :lol:)