Double overdrives witha US Gear Dual Range Overdrive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My latest “Great Idea” Better MPG with super double Over Drives:

Was able to get an old US Gear Dual Range over drive (Org Doug Nash unit) at a good price.

I am looking for parts for this unit. And someone whom can work in it. It was not made to fit a TH400, I did not get the front adapter.

I need the input shaft for a TH400/4L80, and the 400 to US Gear adapter, and would also like the parking brake rear adapter.

I really wanted one of these as they seem to be nearly the best aftermarket Over Drive units.

I wanted it for my 93 Custom Chevy G20 Van to run behind my new rebuilt low RPM 383 both to lower the cruse RPMs and in my belief my special engine will give me better than the old stock 350’s 14MPG.

I was going to clob together an old Borg Warner over drive to run behind my van’s weak 4L60 both transmissions I feared that both might fail on a road trip and both I felt could NOT be used to tow anything. I was making plans on how to remove or replace either one on a road trip…not a good way to travel.

I am now putting in a 4L80E main transmission and want to run the US Gear overdrive which both I believe are so strong I will not fear any failure due to being weak, and now means I can tow, and do so in 3rd gear and with the US gear handling the overdrive.

The good thing is these are gear to gear, no lower minimum speed limits, and no problem backing up, (BW and GV) and no front oil pump, no cone clutch and no such weakness as those. (GV)

I am considering adapting the rear parking break to the US Gear over drive (they did make them too) so I can add rear disk brakes and not worry about their parking brakes.

Rich

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What gears do you plan on running? In less 4.56s or higher, your not gonna have enough low end torque to use the double OD. Plus a van has the aerodynamics of a barn, faster you go the more resistance, need more torque to go faster.

tigger4x

Reaction score
My latest “Great Idea” Better MPG with super double Over Drives:

Was able to get an old US Gear Dual Range over drive (Org Doug Nash unit) at a good price.

I am looking for parts for this unit. And someone whom can work in it. It was not made to fit a TH400, I did not get the front adapter.

Hey there Rich, How has your project been going? Have you found a source for the parts?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to hear more about this. My trucks make enough torque for a double OD when empty. I'm also curious how you intend to make it play nice with stock electronics.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
no FB here either. did you know that everything you post on that site becomes their property. I also cant stand the fact that I can reactivate my account that I tried to close 10 years ago. its bull sh it.

Iv read this site a few times. it is pretty cool how they can take a 4 speed transmission and make it an 8 speed. this is neat stuff. Expensive but if I was traveling far distances I would be very interested.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't do Facebook either, I wish my wife would stop too. Her iPhone got hacked on Facebook :fc5716bd:
How about posting here?

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
heres an article from Truck Builder Magazine where they install one in a 96 Chevy C1500.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d like to install a gear vendors behind my nv4500 to split 2-3 and 3-4 and also run double OD with a 400ci TPI small block
There is a video on YouTube of a 3/4ton 4l80 truck with a GV installed