Door lock switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
A couple of days ago my drivers side door lock switch quit working on my 97 crew cab. The passenger side never did work except to unlock so it left me no way to lock the doors. I switched both sets out with some off a suburban I had and now the passenger side works all locks but the drives side still does nothing. No click, just nothing. Should I check wiring here or where should I start?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
These 1995-up window/lock switches crap out all the time once they get old. If you feel like experimenting a little bit you can carefully open up the housing and spray a crapload of contact cleaner in there, work the switches a bunch, and they may clean up enough to work again. I had a lot of trouble with the master switch in my '97 Suburban; I actually took it down far enough that I could clean the individual contacts inside the switches. Takes a gentle touch getting the cap off the switch so you can do this.

In the end you'll likely just have to buy a new master switch assembly.

Richard

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just wondering, if you have remote keyless entry, does the fob work all the locks both ways? If so, I think you can look at the switch itself as the main problem as someotherguy noted. I have had my door panel off, but I don't think you need to do this to get at the switch, so I'd just go to the wreckers, or the parts shop, and get a couple of the switches, and change them out.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Just wondering, if you have remote keyless entry, does the fob work all the locks both ways? If so, I think you can look at the switch itself as the main problem as someotherguy noted. I have had my door panel off, but I don't think you need to do this to get at the switch, so I'd just go to the wreckers, or the parts shop, and get a couple of the switches, and change them out.

No fob, btw, i tried 2 different used switches with one that I believe was good before parting truck, but my thoughts were if the wiring was bad that the door wouldn't lock and unlock from the passenger side. One of the switches was just from an x-cab but it worked the windows, i just get nothing from the drivers side door lock with 3 different switches, all used though.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I tried a switch out of another crew cab that worked in that truck but did not work in mine. My passenger side switch works all doors, I guess I should be looking for maybe a broke wire in the boot between the door and cab or maybe in the door?