Door lock problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a problem with the power locks on my 98 silverado. on occasion, the fob will honk the horn but not lock the door, and then when you lock it from the inside, it will blow the fuse. it does it once or twice a month and only blows the fuse when using the drivers side button. i recently got to the door lock actuator and cleaned the connector and put dielectric grease on it but it did it again today. any ideas?

Canon Lansdell

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Which fuse is being blown? The locks system is supposed to be protected by a 20 amp circuit breaker, not a fuse.

Is the keyless entry factory or aftermarket?
I believe it’s the #13 fuse and it’s a 20 amp mini. The keyless entry is stock but it’s an aftermarket remote from Boost Auto Parts, if that matters at all.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter as long as the receiver is factory..

I just had a look at the wiring diagrams and yeah, fuse 13 runs to both doors lock switches and the keyless entry receiver... I would try to take apart the driver door switch panel, or find a replacement at a junkyard.. The lock switch may have broken internally. As for the honking... I don't believe the horn was even connected to the keyless entry on these until the BCM models 99+... I know the one in my 97 isn't, and it should be similar to the 98. Not sure where to go with that one.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score

I just had a look at the wiring diagrams and yeah, fuse 13 runs to both doors lock switches and the keyless entry receiver... I would try to take apart the driver door switch panel, or find a replacement at a junkyard.. The lock switch may have broken internally. As for the honking... I don't believe the horn was even connected to the keyless entry on these until the BCM models 99+... I know the one in my 97 isn't, and it should be similar to the 98. Not sure where to go with that one.

My '98 honks the horn when I press the remote lock button on the fob twice.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Same to mine. But funny thing. The dealer can program it not to honk. For 19yrs the suburban never honked when locked. One day I bought spare remotes factory style. And when I programmed all the remotes they all honked when locked. Now I'm curious if panic button is possible?

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes we have a factory type remote for our Burb, that we got hoping that would fix the security problem last year. When we used it, it would honk on the second push of the lock button. Mom is scared to use it now because she's afraid it will undo the passlock delete.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Huh. I guess 98 changed it then. Mine in my 97 doesn't honk or flash at all under any circumstances. That being the case then yeah you should be able to use the panic button remote no problem.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh. I guess 98 changed it then. Mine in my 97 doesn't honk or flash at all under any circumstances. That being the case then yeah you should be able to use the panic button remote no problem.

Have you tried reprogramming any remotes since you got it?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, many times.. There is no horn signal wire going to my module - I would know, since I installed all of the equipment myself when I did the power conversion using parts from another 97 lol. I'm gonna have to look at a 98s diagram now to see if they show any different.