Don't laugh, I'm new

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tellin my wife to hang on then yankin a 4000lb sled into a banked off ramp at 80 that's labled for 25 seems more exciting to me. But we are all different I guess.

You are going to find it likes to swap ends, due to the excess weight of the big block in the front and the lack of weight in the rear. I agree with what you are saying, but it is kinda tough with a pickup. Especially when too much power.

My truck handles quite well, but has way too much power to really use it. My GTO is the opposite. It doesn't have enough power, but sticks way better than the truck. I know tires will make a difference on either vehicle, but the GTO is much better balanced in a bend. Actual weight is pretty close between them.

Less unsprung weight FTW! This is one reason why I dont like my Corvette wheels. I do love how they look though.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know exactly what your sayin man. I already have coilovers front and back, a 4 link setup thats just for auto cross, chassis mounted pivot watts link to control roll center help keep it stable, but at the end of the day it's still a truck. I'm hoping will do ok for what it is. Really once I get the body roll under control (will have to build a nascar style rear swaybar) the biggest thing is just tires, front and rear. It will take a whole lot of contact patch to keep it where it's supposed to be. I'm being very intentional about the front tire I put on it for twisties.

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
I know exactly what your sayin man. I already have coilovers front and back, a 4 link setup thats just for auto cross, chassis mounted pivot watts link to control roll center help keep it stable, but at the end of the day it's still a truck. I'm hoping will do ok for what it is. Really once I get the body roll under control (will have to build a nascar style rear swaybar) the biggest thing is just tires, front and rear. It will take a whole lot of contact patch to keep it where it's supposed to be. I'm being very intentional about the front tire I put on it for twisties.

Why not just get a Hellwig rear sway bar? I've also heard of guys pulling them off of suburbans. I'm thinking about getting one.

I would love to autocross mine some day, but I probably won't drop it. And it's just so heavy!

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hellwig or any other swaybar won't work b/c of 4 link / watts link. Something will hit somewhere.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
that watts link shoudl do ya real good back there by itself really draggin and 98nightmare can prob shed a lil more light seeing how they have em. ive only heard of how great they are and improved handling from them

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that watts link shoudl do ya real good back there by itself really draggin and 98nightmare can prob shed a lil more light seeing how they have em. ive only heard of how great they are and improved handling from them

Theres a huge difference in how the 2 different kinds of watts links react. The 2 different types being

1) Watts Pivot being hard mounted to the Diff/Rear Axle

(This is nogo for Road Racing b/c it causing the RRC to change drastically according to where the CoG line is.) This is the kind of kits you see on bagged trucks alot, kits like the ones they sale on Suicidedoors.com and places like that. Great for those goes who want a lateral locater that holds the rear end where it's supposed to be with no lateral movement. (panhard bar moves some, less for longer bars and more for short bars)

2) Watts Pivot being hard mounted to the frame/chassis somewhere.
This is the ideal setup for autox or Road racing as the RRC never moves and stays constant, keeps the car reacting violently when side loads are put on it. Fays2 sells bolt in kits that are really nice, just none for our trucks. I'm basically using his kit, and making my own mounts for the pivot.