Do I really need the EGR ports? How would I do without em?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Calvo

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my headers, and well, everything back. I've noticed though when poking around that there are EGR ports on the stock manifolds, but hardly any aftermarket headers with EGR ports. How would I go about installing headers and getting rid of the EGR?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? WHAT MODEL YEAR? WHAT VEHICLE?

EGR ports?

Do you mean AIR ports?

There is ONE EGR port (on the left exhaust manifold) of Vortec engines, and none on a TBI. There might be one AIR connection on each manifold of an AIR-equipped vehicle.

Calvo

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE? WHAT MODEL YEAR? WHAT VEHICLE?

EGR ports?

Do you mean AIR ports?

There is ONE EGR port (on the left exhaust manifold) of Vortec engines, and none on a TBI. There might be one AIR connection on each manifold of an AIR-equipped vehicle.
I drive a 98 Tahoe, the L31 Vortec 350, when trying to figure out what the tubing running through BOTH of the manifolds the only answer I could find was that they were EGR. I might be completely wrong. If I am wrong, what the heck are they? Can I run headers without them without a check engine light?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you've got plumbing on both manifolds, you have AIR and EGR on the left manifold, and AIR on the right.

There are headers available that allow use with the AIR pump and plumbing. My '88 has shorty headers with AIR provisions, but of course no EGR from the exhaust manifold since TBI uses exhaust crossover passages in the two cylinder heads, and the intake manifold.