DIY Cabin air filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dumpdog

Reaction score
I'm sure most all of you are the same as I when it comes to cleaning out the evaporator coils in our anemic hvac system - cussing, contortions and amazement of how all that stuff gets in there. So I finally had it and was going to solve this once and for all. So here's what I came up with, going to refine/tweak it a lot more, wanted to be sure all was performing as designed. Hope this helps someone out or generates better ideas/solutions

Remove wiper arms and cowl grille, on the passenger side cowl, there will be a 'tear drop' shaped panel covered in old sealant/adhesive, remove sealant, access panel then can be removed. Directly below the access panel will be the fresh air intake. Cut one piece of filter media to fit snuggly inside fresh air intake opening, cut another piece of filter media oversized (to prevent falling into opening). One of the long side edges will need to be flush with each other due to the fresh air intake opening butting against the firewall. Glue both pieces together (I used some high strength spray adhesive, also ran a piece of safety wire thru both pieces...just incase). Install filter media into/on top of fresh air intake, if everything is cut right, it should be a very tight fit. Install access panel, I used some aluminum tape to hold/seal it back up till I figure out a system to get in and out of there to service the filter. I also cut a piece of this media and installed over my re-circ grille/opening in the cab...have labs that like dog rides. I went with this type of filter media due to it provides a measureable amount of filtration but does not impart flow restriction. Also, the best tool I ever used to get in and clean the coils is the magazine well brush...should need that anymore thou.

Oh ya looking at ~ $10 for filter media...better than the $33 I just paid for my mustangs' cabin air filter!!!

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's a good idea in general, but I wouldn't remove that access panel unless you already need to re-seal it due to leaks (which do happen but so far are still rare.) That filter media will do a good job of keeping out most stuff out and from clogging up the fins on the evaporator, but it will eventually clog up itself with caked-on dust that will turn into mud.

If you're looking to just keep out the debris like leaves and pine needles, you could simply remove the wiper arms, wiper cowl plastic (watch out for the couple of hidden screws sunk in across it; if it gives you any resistance at all you missed a screw - don't force it as it can break easily), and cut a piece of window screen to go across the cowl opening large enough that it overlaps where the screws go through so it won't move one you screw the plastic back into place.

It won't keep dust out of the system but should keep practically everything else out, and will be far more accessible to clean every now and then.

Richard

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
even window screen, when not cleaned will get caked up with dust. especially when the screen gets wet then caked in dust and then repeat.

I have to clean the screens in my poultry coops and greenhouse multiple times a year to keep the air moving through. of course birds are very dusty and the screens in the greenhouse have fans pulling or pushing air, with pollen, which is sticky....

Man I wish there was a cabin air filter in these trucks though!

Al