Distributor replacement.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kmac

Reaction score
Anyone replace their stock plastic distributor with a MSD street fighter? If so, did it solve any mis fire problems and improve performance? Thanks

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Anything MSD is going to be better than stock and unless your stock dissy is the cause for the misfire it probably wont fix the issue however usually when somebody upgrades to an MSD dissy they also upgrade everything else also which probably would fix a misfire.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything MSD is going to be better than stock

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Granted I have no experience with MSD products that fit these trucks, but I do have a friend who has some with their OptiSpark distributor for 90's F-bodies. That thing is complete garbage. Had to replace it after about three months. He put an ACDelco on the car and never had another issue.

I've read that MSD products are not what they used to be, but take that for what it's worth. Personally I'd stick to ACDelco.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will not use MSD. I used one of their coils in my TBI burn. Original GM coil had 100k on it. The MSD lasted 20k before it **** the bed and gave me all sorts of headaches that mimicked a bad ICM.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, no need to spend big bucks on a Vortec replacement distributor. All of 'em are gonna be Chinese crap. Get one at a decent price and chuck the cap, put a quality cap on it. The lesser quality Vortec caps are bad about developing internal crossfires that will drive you nuts trying to troubleshoot.

And I absolutely agree with disregarding the MSD product altogether.

Richard

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, no need to spend big bucks on a Vortec replacement distributor. All of 'em are gonna be Chinese crap. Get one at a decent price and chuck the cap, put a quality cap on it. The lesser quality Vortec caps are bad about developing internal crossfires that will drive you nuts trying to troubleshoot.

And I absolutely agree with disregarding the MSD product altogether.

Richard
That's why I thought too on my 94 Tbi. Brand new dizzy did not run right, exchanged it ran better but not quite right so I added a cap/rotor from AC Delco and it ran ballsy for a week. Then it started acting up. Had good power at start up then after warm up lost power but sometimes runs ok. So my suggestion stay with Delco or Delphi whichever is cheaper.