Distributor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I might have made a big oops. Putting my motor back together and I have a new distributor but unfortunately taking the old one out I didn't mark anything and I turned the motor with intention of adjusting the valves but was told the distributor has to be in first so you know which stroke you're on. How do I correct this? The motor is on a TDC I just don't know which one.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a big oops. What motor, year? Vortec or tbi?

Only difference is newer motors have numbered spots for wires.

When both valves are closed on #1 cylinder and timing mark on balancer is lined up thats TDC #1. Start there.

Line up dist. so it will drop in with rotor pointing at #1.
Newer motors have numbered caps so you have to use them. Older tbi motors you can just pick a pin and follow the firing order around.

Last edited:

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a big oops. What motor, year? Vortec or tbi?

Only difference is newer motors have numbered spots for wires.

When both valves are closed on #1 cylinder and timing mark on balancer is lined up thats TDC #1. Start there.

Line up dist. so it will drop in with rotor pointing at #1.
Newer motors have numbered caps so you have to use them. Older tbi motors you can just pick a pin and follow the firing order around.

It's a 98 350 vortec. How do I know if the valves are closed?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While you turn engine over watch rocker arms on #1 cylinder. When they are both up (closed) that is TDC. Timing mark should be close, turn engine till timing mark lines up. Thats where you want it to install dist.

lftd94z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
While you turn engine over watch rocker arms on #1 cylinder. When they are both up (closed) that is TDC. Timing mark should be close, turn engine till timing mark lines up. Thats where you want it to install dist.
Thank you. Saved a lot of headache.