Distributor cap and moisture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What the others already said about it not supposed to be airtight.

The vents are two little screens in the base of the distributor; if they're clogged up or corroded then that will contribute to the problem.

Richard

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Yeah, and you don't want to know the pain if you strip one of those screws out.

Fixed the link.

Last edited:

woody31

Banned
Reaction score
if you continue to have issues,,even after you replace the cap and rotor with a QUALITY part, start looking for a crack in the housing,,even the smallest of a crack will cause the issue you are describing,,good luck and keep us updated,,,

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What the others already said about it not supposed to be airtight.

The vents are two little screens in the base of the distributor; if they're clogged up or corroded then that will contribute to the problem.

Richard

I did notice that it was a bit rusty and there was bits of corrosion dust on the plate under the cap/rotor, I'll have to look for those vents, see if they are clogged if it persists

Sent from the Sierra Club

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Careful how tight you try to get those screws securing the cap. They're just screwing into plastic that get's very brittle.( Ask me how I know)

Excellent advice for 1996-up. OP's truck is a 1994 which the distributor body is metal, not plastic.

BTW on broken 1996-up Vortec plastic distributor bodies, until you're ready to suffer the expense and hassle of distributor replacement due to broken cap screw tabs, just zip-tie the cap around the distributor body. The cross-fire design allows this to work really well; you can route the zip-tie across the middle between the terminals; the cap will stay on tight and work just fine.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Yup! Mine is zip tied on there right now.

I have seen this so many times. They are SOOOOO easy to break. But as stated above, 94=metal base. Still don't need to be tightened like a German. You can crack the cap fairly easy, especially if its not seated exactly correctly.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It ran good this morning still wet here, didn't tighten it, it's on there pretty good I think , 96+ is plastic? That's not fun, I want to buy another truck probably a 97 or 98 in a year or so (still keepin the 94) is there a different distributor you can get that's metal plate instead?

Sent from the Sierra Club