Distributor cap and moisture

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there supposed to be a grommet or a gasket that sits in between the cap and the distributor? Moisture messed my last one and I didn't do any off roading or puddle jumping, is there a way I can seal it better? Already felt some stumbles due to it raining here today

Sent from the Sierra Club

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me at work yesterday...rained quite a bit and it missed and stalled when I started it. Was OK after a minute. I would think a new cap and rotor would fix it up, not sure if there is a gasket

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just replaced the cap, rotor and wires on Monday cuz the previous set up was corroded and beat up, I also used dielectric grease on both ends of each wire

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had my 95 for close to 3 years now tuned it up when I got it used all AC Delco parts, wasn't any gasket just sat on top had zero issues

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most have some form or fashion of vent to prevent moisture buildup, but they aren't sealed by any means. Nor are they supposed to be.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Nope no gasket. It's pretty silly. It doesn't look like they seal very well either.

Sent from Robl@nd

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
There's no gasket. I wouldn't silicone the cap, it does have to be ventilated to a certain extent in order to allow heat and moisture to escape. If you silicone around the cap, you'll still have condensation, and that will only make it harder for it to escape.

I saw your post in the other thread, that cap looked like complete sht for 10,000km. I think I read a thread on FSC where someone kept ruining caps, I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] That was easy: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...o-vortec-cap-rotor-only-lasted-18-months.html

Last edited:

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running AC Delco wires, and NGK iridiums that the previous owner put in they look pretty good still, I'm using standard blue streak cap and rotor, maybe it's just the moisture and a new cap I'll tighten it on a bit more maybe if it's dry tomorrow, give it time to dry up

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's no gasket. I wouldn't silicone the cap, it does have to be ventilated to a certain extent in order to allow heat and moisture to escape. If you silicone around the cap, you'll still have condensation, and that will only make it harder for it to escape.

I saw your post in the other thread, that cap looked like complete sht for 10,000km. I think I read a thread on FSC where someone kept ruining caps, I'll see if I can find it.

[edit] That was easy: http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/general-discussion/technical-maintenance/524604

Hmmm that link won't work, I'll try on the desk top when I get home, I learn a lot from this forum definitely making me more confident to work on my truck

I'm thinking that something has a bad ground and causing the corrosion possibly? Like the coil?