DirtridinZ71 Budget SAS Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Came out awesome budddy. I def need to stop going on trail rides temporarily and play some big time catch up.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what size was the square tube you used for the front crossmember? dont remmeber if you used 47 or 52 springs? is the spring eyelet even with end of frame or more towards the back? last is were the rear spring hangers from a 2wd or 4wd square?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments everyone.

what size was the square tube you used for the front crossmember? dont remmeber if you used 47 or 52 springs? is the spring eyelet even with end of frame or more towards the back? last is were the rear spring hangers from a 2wd or 4wd square?

The tubing is 3x3 and 1/4" thick wall. I did use 52" springs and the front eyelet are pretty close to the end of the frame, the axle is about 1" forward then the stock IFS. Best picture I could find to show where it is sitting
You must be registered for see images attach

Not sure what exactly you are asking about the rear spring hangers? I used the front hanger for the rear springs off of a 4wd K5 blazer, they are different then the 1/2ton trucks, not as wide. You can see them decent in this picture. I would defintly recomeend building your own brackets, especially since you have the front spring hanger already, weld them to the bottom of the brame and brace with some tubing. You will save agood chunk of change.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
was thinking about getting the front spring hanger(for shackle) from lmc since i cant find any local and have no way to get them off frame in junkyard. the 4wd k5 ones are like 44 each and 2wd c10s are 36 i think. i allready have shackle since i got em with springs. all id need would be some square tube and gusset pieces. your pictures give me good ideas. for the front you made it bolt on? just cut the tube to fit the frame

was going to get sky kit but i dont like how it hanges so far down but im only going to be using stock 52s so i want it to end up with around 8" of lift. their kit isnt bad for 300 and 2.5 hanger drop

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4wd K5 ones arent as wide as the truck ones, they wont give you a 31.5" center if you put them flat against the frame. Mine is all welded in, I just made one of the bumper bracket bolts go through it to hold it better during mock up.

I put almost 60 miles on the truck yesterday, mostly dirt roads but some pavement. I was surprised how decent it handled, tracked straighter then it did with the IFS. It has a little bump steer and will grab the ruts on the paved roads worse. No more body roll then before without the sway bar. Off road a little rougher in the pot holed sections but handled well. Defintly notice the heavier steering with the big boggers and with jsut 4.56 gears a little sluggish again.

I had one shockle bolt not tighten up well and shackle was loose and knucking, fixed that today and also noticed that front yoke was not the right one. I put the d-shaft in the dark and didnt see that the yoke was right cup size but to long (3130 yoke and 3110 u joint, straps barely held it in!), that also got swapped out today. I'm still having issues with the CTS messing with the tourqe convertor, will have to try a new pig tail on it. Other then that it was nice to finally be able to drive the truck again!

Last edited:

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
ill say it once ill say it again this thing is sweet most camo jobs i dont like much but this one just fits the bill. any other plans i missed?

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ill say it once ill say it again this thing is sweet most camo jobs i dont like much but this one just fits the bill. any other plans i missed?

Thanks! No other plans then drive it for hunting season and see what needs improved on. Then this winter I plan to make some rock sliders and possibly bumpers. I know the front driveshaft will need a rebuilt as the slip part is getting sloppy.