Direct Fit Electric Fan Cooling Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am gonna make a run to the pull-a-part and am looking to see if there is a direct fitting or stock electric Fan that can be put into my 1993 C2500?
Perferably something that does not take too much work to get going?
Thanks

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Was going to say what big_mike said. In addition, grab everything you can like the relays and harness which will make your life so much easier.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the point of replacing a clutch fan with an electric fan?

I know a lot of folks do...and then they post about overheating problems, and/or excess electrical draw on the alternator.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I know a lot of folks do...and then they post about overheating problems, and/or excess electrical draw on the alternator.

Lots of people do it in hopes of power gains, although minimal. I want to say it freed up around 10-15HP on a SBC 383 in an episode of Engine Masters.

I'm with you, though. Personally I'd rather have the extra cooling capacity and reliability of the clutch fan setup. All of my vehicles run clutch fans.

RQ Jay

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A few things....although I did not think any power gains were really worth it...
For the first part, my Fan clutch is slipping quite a bit.
I live in AZ, and I have always found vehicles with electric fans let the AC do its joib quite a bit better when at idle.
I personally prefer the simplicity of working on the front of an engine (belt changes, water pumps, pulleys, alternators, etc..) without having to deal with a mechanical fan.
I think in AZ that having the fan run a bit after shutting off the vehicle is benneficial as well.

Thanks!

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Electric fans can move a lot more air and be controlled, huge benefit over a clutch fan. It just needs to be installed properly and the fan settings be correct with all wiring and relays correct. If put together properly you won’t have any issues.

Reaction score
I've swapped the 05-07 Silverado fans in a few of my trucks, along with the 411 pcms and have never had any sort of overheating issues.those fans can move a lot of air. The main reason I prefer them is winter operation. Cold start up in winter with the mechanical fan and my truck would sound like a jet taking off for the first few miles/minutes... Electricfans stay off, nice n quiet, plus the motor and coolant heat up faster as well.when moving at any speed over 40ish they will usually stay off as there is enough air moving over the radiator.

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the Ford Taurus fan swaps still a thing?
I did this on my 88 'burb like 10 years ago. Bought the install kit from J.C. Whitney AFAIR.
worked great. But make sure you have or upgrade to the HO alternator.
If you live somewhere hot or spend time in stop and go traffic, the electric fan is well worth it. They're also great if you go offroad where you're driving slow (ie not much airflow) but working the engine hard.
I added a dash switch to my setup that let me override the thermostat controlled relay from the install kit. This way I could force the fan on (e.g. for towing with AC on in traffic) or force it off temporarily for water crossing, flooded roads etc.

All that said, my first cooling system upgrade to any vehicle is Redline Water Wetter in the coolant. That got me several degrees cooler temps and helped eliminate engine hotspots.
Check compatibility though. Some vehicles don't need or aren't compatible. Though GMT 400's all should be. As well as previous gen GM trucks.