Different Steering Pumps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A while back I had to swap out my steering pump and the first one that NAPA sold me was incorrect. I'm needing to replace the thing again and notice there are options, but I am unsure what the differences are. For example: Summit sells two AC Delco remanufactured pumps with part numbers 19319911 ($70) and 19319912 ($120). They both look to be the same based on the descriptions and aside from the price they both supposedly fit my truck. Is one just heavier duty or what? This is for my '99 K1500.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 19319911 does not include the EVO sensor, or is not designed for it. The 19319912 has one. Look at the parts on Amazon and you'll see the difference.

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my experience, the pump itself is the same, for almost every GM vehicle in the past 40 years! At least prior to 1999. The housings are the only thing that have changed over the years and models. I had a '97 2500 that needed a new pump. I bought the pump and installed it in the original housing. It made it about 2 miles before the shaft broke and I lost steering and brakes. I was in a jam and needed the truck, so I went out back to my junk yard and pulled the pump off my '72 K5. I took the pump out of that housing and installed it into the '97 housing. I drove that truck with that 40 year old pump in it for several more years before I sold the truck. I now have a few extra old pumps on the shelf waiting their turn to be repurposed.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The 19319911 does not include the EVO sensor, or is not designed for it. The 19319912 has one. Look at the parts on Amazon and you'll see the difference.
Beat me to it. If it was my truck I'd ditch the EVO but that's my personal opinion. Don't think many of us on here are soccer moms unhappy with trying to park a full size truck. I prefer that pre-EVO heavier steering feel, and especially prefer it to EVO problems causing full steering assist on the highway - that's downright dangerous.

Richard

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Beat me to it. If it was my truck I'd ditch the EVO but that's my personal opinion. Don't think many of us on here are soccer moms unhappy with trying to park a full size truck. I prefer that pre-EVO heavier steering feel, and especially prefer it to EVO problems causing full steering assist on the highway - that's downright dangerous.

Richard
I have actually had the new hose to replace the EVO sitting on my bench for way too many months. I have several of the old pumps complete with the right pressure valve to use on the newer housing. Maybe with my other problem solving this weekend I will finally get to throwing away the EVO crap.

Schimpfy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like I'll just get the non-EVO 19319911. Even having to get the different hose will still save me quite a bit.